County Longford Golf Club was formed in 1894 so it’s one of the oldest in Ireland. The original 9-hole course was provided by the then Earl of Longford, doubling up as pasture land for grazing animals. This layout was revised in 1930 and it stayed that way until 1975, when adjoining land was acquired and a full 18-hole course brought into play.
Set out on top of a hill, the front nine is routed around the perimeter of the property, with the back nine laid out inside these holes. Bunkers don’t really feature prominently so trees and water offer the main hazards to golfers at County Longford. Holes 6 and 12, in particular, play to very fetching water-protected greens.
The 9th, measuring 361 metres, is rated the toughest on the scorecard and it’s a very demanding uphill par four which concludes with a narrow green that’s guarded by sand traps on the left. Short par fours at 2, 12 and 15 are other highlight holes on a course that was remodelled in 2005 to extend its overall length.