Review for Courson (Vert & Noir)

Having played earlier in the day at Fontainebleau, I stopped in at Courson in the afternoon, on the way back to Paris, where the Stade Francais sports club operates a modern 36-hole golf complex. The 18-hole course that I played was actually the Black and Orange, so this review will be spread over this page and the one for the Lilas and Orange nines.

As the stroke index numbers on the Noir/Orange scorecard are odd for the Black nine, I presume these holes are regarded as forming the more difficult loop for this 18-hole configuration.

The first thing you notice on the tee of the 1st hole are the peculiar half-moon shaped indentions in the mounding that runs along either side of the fairway. I’ve never come across that before and I thought at first maybe they were meant to be sand bunkers that were just grassed instead and I’m still not sure if that’s the case.

Anyway, that particular design feature is used Courson (Vert & Noir) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer throughout the property, both on fairways and around greensites, and I’d love to know what the thought process was behind the decision to sculpt these half-crater shapes.

I really liked the par four 3rd hole on the Black nine, played from an offset tee position to a heavily contoured fairway that doglegs left to the green, skirting past a large waste bunker as it heads to the target. The par four 7th is easily the best hole on this nine, playing downhill to a long Biarritz green that sits on the edge of a lake. Holes 8 and 9 also have water in play, along the left side of the former and down the right side of the latter.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough time to even take a quick spin in a buggy round the Vert nine so this review is somewhat curtailed I’m afraid. I’ve reviewed the Orange nine on the Courson (Lilas & Orange) webpage.

If your golf game of choice is of the parkland variety then Courson is more than capable of providing it for you.

Date: August 01, 2018

Read all reviews about Courson (Vert & Noir)