Courtown Golf Club is a lovely parkland course – measuring 6,466 yards from the medal tees – located on land that was once part of the Courtown Estate. The golf club was established in 1936 and the original 9-hole layout was extended to a full 18-hole course in 1974.
Although the course may come within 150 yards of the Irish Sea, it is exclusively parkland in nature, bounded on three sides by a heavily wooded area. Trees also line every fairway, giving real definition to the holes and providing punishment for wayward play.
The pick of the four par three holes is the 153-yard 18th called “The Pond” where, not surprisingly, a water hazard and out of bounds on the left must be negotiated. The 569-yard 9th named “Fisherman’s Lane” is the best of the three par fives – it has been redesigned, with a dogleg adding to the difficulty of getting near the green in three strokes.
The signature hole is the 339-yard par four 4th, entitled “Radharc” which enjoys panoramic views south to the Wexford coastline.