Review for Crail (Balcomie)

During our second golf trip to Scotland, we visited Fife. After we met the ultra nice head pro Graeme Lennie and his assistant David, we decided to play both Crail courses that day: Crailhead in the morning and Balcomie in the afternoon.

It was a bit of a grey and busy day at Crail, and the pace at the Balcomie was pretty slow, which did not add to the enjoyment.

After a nice down-hill opener, the second hole is almost surreal: when playing my second shot I had no clue where to aim for (yes, I was still on the fairway.....). I will remember that shot for a long time!

The remaining holes at that side of the clubhouse offer a wide variety of links holes: both short & long, uphill & downhill and two holes testing your knowledge of your driver carry distance, since you can/must cut the corner over the beach. After playing the funky uphill/ downhill combo of par3's in front of the clubhouse there is a little loop of holes waiting for you near the coastline behind the clubhouse, offering some very links type closing holes.

Despite the course being relatively short, I still enjoyed the course since it offers you the typical quirkiness that links golf is all about.

Excellent condition, excellent greens. When checking the scores after the round, I found out that - despite the lack of length - Balcomie can still put a decent dent in your golf pride if your short game is not firing on all cylinders.....

During our day at Crail, we felt welcomed by all staff, both in the clubhouse as out on the course.

If you decide to travel up to Crail to shoot some golf, I can recommend to play the Crail combo in this order: it will give you a decent golf test in the morning and a links adventure in the afternoon. You will not be disappointed.

I hope Mr. Lennie is not offended to much by my reviews of 'his' courses at Crail....

OCB

Date: June 16, 2017

Read all reviews about Crail (Balcomie)