Review for Crail (Craighead)

During our second golf trip to Scotland, we visited Fife. After we met the ultra nice head pro Graeme Lennie and his assistant David, we decided to play both Crail courses that day: Crailhead in the morning and Balcomie in the afternoon.

It was a bit of a grey start of a busy day at Crail, but the pace in the morning was still OK-ish.

Crailhead offers a very decent opening nine, good turf and greens, but I was not overwhelmed by the plot of land the holes have been laid out: it did not give me the feeling I was playing a links course. Luckily the second nine has links character by the dozen, starting with a charming short par4 and ending the round with a testing, long par4. We found the course in excellent condition, despite the fact that Fife had been extremely dry the weeks before and during our visit.

The clubhouse offered a welcomed lunch & tea and promising views of the course we would play in the afternoon, Balcomie.

If you decide to travel up to Crail to shoot some golf, I can recommend to play the Crail combo in this order: it will give you a decent golf warm-up in the morning and a links adventure in the afternoon. You will not be disappointed.

I hope Mr. Lennie is not offended to much by my reviews of 'his' courses at Crail....

OCB

Date: June 16, 2017

Read all reviews about Crail (Craighead)