Review for Crosswater

Designed by Bob Cupp and John Fought, Sunriver Resort was ranked as America’s best new resort course in 1995 and debuted at 89 on the Golf Digest Top 100 list, The high-desert course sits in a valley of forested meadows and preserved wetlands surrounded by the Cascade Mountains; the Deschutes River threads its way through the course several times. The snow-covered peak of Mount Batchelor always seems to be in view. The course is also a wildlife habitat and in 1999 it was named a member of the Audubon Sanctuary Program, one of only 150 courses in the U.S. at that time to be awarded that distinction.

Crosswater plays up to 7,683 yards (the longest course I’ve ever seen) with par 5s of 582, 635, 687, and 598. I did not play those tees, but even from my tees, these were cripplingly long par 5s. There was hardly anyone around, so I played alone, which was a nice break from the past two days when I was with large groups of people. I had been playing poorly, and I faced some of those demons on this round. When I hit bad shots, I just dropped another ball and hit until I got it right. Leisurely soaking in the beauty of this course was a wonderful solitary experience. I shot 91, which wasn’t bad, and I had a chip in, a couple sand saves, and most impressive to me, an up and down from a bunker 125 yards away. Larry Berle.

Date: November 26, 2014