Review for Crowborough Beacon

Our Society had a great day at Crowborough Beacon today on a still, warm day. When we arrived I assumed that the large group of jocular golfers were another Society, but in fact this was the members' rollup which play team events except in qualifying competitions. They were without exception friendly, interested and proud of their club. This is a great example that I would love my club to follow, and illustrates the outstanding spirit here. Despite our only being a group of 11 we were met by Terry, one of the club's "Meeter and Greeter" team, who forewent playing in the hustle to make sure everything was good for us (it was) and walked the first 5 holes with us. What service, and he was nice enough to root through a tree on the 4th that I had hoiked my approach into from a heathery lie. Sadly the ball lies there still, but not for lack of effort. The course was great fun, but seeing a vintage photo of the iconic 5th in the club house one was struck by how a wide open heathland has been inundated with trees over the years. The greens were a bit soft and patchy in some places, this is in hand by the club, but it's hard not to think that the trees are depriving them of light and air. A tree reduction program is in progress that we should wish all the best. All members enjoyed the club, views and golf, with the 2nd, 5th, 6th,12th, 14th, 16th and 18th standout holes for all. We finished our visit with a drink on the great terrace followed by a superb bangers and mash meal in the small dining room made available to us by the super team. A great day, and the club should be an example to many other clubs of how to make visitors feel welcome, not merely tolerated. We are subsidising the members' green fees after all !

Date: May 30, 2017