The following edited extract is taken from A Century of Golf at Cruden Bay:
“The ‘new’ 18-hole links course was commissioned in 1894 and fully opened in 1899 as part of the recreational facilities offered by the Cruden Bay Hotel, newly erected and opened in March of that same year. The inner nine hole ’Ladies course’ was also laid out at the same time.
Simpson and Fowler re-designed the nine hole St Olaf course, sandwiched in between the first holes of the championship course, and which was opened at the same time. It closed during the war years and fell into disrepair.
On 26th June 1968, the inner nine hole course was re-opened. Originally going to be called the Errol course, it was finally decided to name it the St Olaf course.
The fairways were all lengthened for the re-establishment of the course, and the greens were cut out of thin rough grass using a hay mower. Miraculously, the quality of the grass of these greens has served us well since that time.
Harry Forrest first started green keeping duties with the club in 1957, when he stood in for his father Richard Forrest who was ill and recovering from an operation. A joiner to trade, Harry had just returned from National Service at the time. It was Harry who found and brought back the nine hole course which had become totally overgrown during the lapse in use after the Second World War.
Mr. A. Simmers, recently retired club captain who had channelled so much energy into its construction, played the first ball off the tee to mark the opening of the course.”