Review for Cruit Island

I'm not sure there is a course in the world I could compare to Cruit. It is as raw and rugged a layout as you'll ever find. If pristine conditions, pure greens, and well-maintained bunkers are your thing, you'll rate Cruit a 2. If you appreciate golf in its purest form, you'll rate Cruit a 6.

I played there in summer of 2019 on a day when the wind was blowing 40 and intermittent showers had rain coming down sideways. It was warm and I had great rain gear, so it was actually quite fun. And because the weather was so extreme, I had the course to myself. Literally.

As has been pointed out in other reviews, Cruit is not perfect. The 8th, in particular, is weak ... a long, flat par 3 with power lines running the length of the hole. But prior to the 8th, you have a run of exhilarating and often ridiculous (in a good way) holes. The par 3 6th is everyone's favorite, but the tee shot at 7 is even better.

Cruit is the kind of place you can jump on in the late afternoon and have an absolute blast. Similar to what the Sheep Ranch used to be at Bandon, although more of a formal course than that was. But the same atmosphere. Pure, natural golf.

Date: January 23, 2020