Review for Cumberwell Park (Red & Yellow)

Pleasantly surprised by Cumberwell Park when we teed it up here last Friday. It’s a popular facility that was bustling even at 7 am and was positively kicking at 3 pm when we got tangled up in a wedding party.

Cumberwell Park Yellow 16th hole

There are definite similarities between Bowood and Cumberwell and I’d contest that there’s not much to choose between the two. In fact I’d say the one-shot holes on the Red and Yellow loops are stronger than what’s on offer at Bowood.

Adrian Stiff has a number of West Country layouts in his portfolio. By a whisker, this is my favourite, although the Blue and Orange loops are hardly inferior – actually the Blue and Orange course is perhaps more dramatic and it’s a glaring omission from our current Wiltshire Best in County rankings.

I’m not a big fan of some design traits from the 1990s where lateral mounding flanks the fairways – a few holes on the Red and Yellow course feature these rather unnatural humps. But apart from that minor gripe, there’s not a lot not to like. The greensites are well done and the bunkering, while not exceptional, is good enough… I liked the shaggy look on the top side of the traps down #15 for example.

I’ve yet to play a course in Wiltshire which has really got my golfing juices flowing (Tidworth Garrison in part came closest) but if you’re looking for a solid 36-hole golfing outing, then Cumberwell should tick enough boxes to keep most golfers happy all day long.

Date: September 05, 2019

Read all reviews about Cumberwell Park (Red & Yellow)