Cypress Point - California - USA

17 Mile Drive,
Pebble Beach,
California (CA) 93953,

• Leave Hwy 1 at Pacific Grove exit follow Carmel Hill towards Pebble Beach

• Members and their guests only

Every true golfer would love to play Cypress Point, but the reality of the matter is that unless you are in the know only a lucky few will ever get the chance to tee it up on the 1st. Folklore has it that J.F. Kennedy was once refused entry to the restaurant and, with only 250 members, mere mortals find it hard to get a game.

Cypress Point Club is set at the foothills of the Santa Lucia Mountains on the very tip of the Monterey Peninsula and the cliff top terrain is varied and thrilling. Almost as many superlatives have been used about the beauty of the location as have been used to describe the course itself. Seth Reynor was originally drafted in to design Cypress Point but sadly he died before its completion so Dr Alister MacKenzie, perhaps the world’s greatest ever architect, stepped in to complete the job during the “Roaring Twenties”.

“The best 17-hole course in the world” is how Cypress Point has been described. The closing hole is considered by some to be little more than a route back to the clubhouse and perhaps the 16th hole is a weakness too, especially if you can’t carry the ball more than 200 yards into the prevailing wind. The Pacific is the ultimate water hazard on this 231-yard one-shot hole. It’s considered the best golf hole in the world or the worst if you dump your third tee shot into the sea.

If you’ve played Cypress Point, we’d be most grateful if you’d write a review for us and let others know how you managed to get a game and also how you coped with the tee shot on 16.

7th September 2011 - David commented on our Cypress Point article. We feel his points are valid and worthy of sharing:

“While most of your course intros seem ok, this one is really off. It was one guy, Jimmy Demaret that called Cypress Point the best 17-hole course he's ever played. He was a great pro, but not an expert in golf course architecture by any means. Granted the 18th might be a little strange, but it's a great hole in its own right. At most courses maybe even their signature hole. A blind tee shot over Cypress Trees to a narrow fairway the dog legs steep up a hill to a green sloping form back to front with a huge cypress tree blocking out the entire left side of the green requiring a perfect drive to have a chance at the green with a shaped approach from an uneven lie. Land it too deep above the hole and you’re faced with a treacherous putt, miss right while shaping your shot and you are in one of the bunkers guarding the green. Does that sound at all like a weak hole?

Also the 16th is not properly described. In typical MacKenzie fashion this hole can be played many ways. He always leaves a way for weaker golfers. The 16th is no different. If the carry is impossible for your ability level you can play left requiring a carry of around or less than 100 yards to a partially hidden fairway and play this hole as a par 4. Any level can do this. I watched a 92 year old man par the hole with no problem in that fashion. So I'd argue this is not my opinion even, it's just plain fact which makes the intro you have incorrect and a bit unfair to Cypress Point and to MacKenzie.”

Reviews for Cypress Point

Description: Cypress Point Club is set at the foothills of the Santa Lucia Mountains on the very tip of the Monterey Peninsula and the cliff top terrain is varied and thrilling. Rating: 9.9 out of 10 Reviews: 27
Steven
Truly one of the best. Lucky enough to play it this April and have been invited back again in October which I can't wait for. Really looking forward to the 2nd time as the 1st time was just a surreal blur! Coming from Australia where we are lucky to have heaps of Alister MacKenzie brilliance, getting the chance to experience Cypress Point was amazing. The Par 5 5th is one of the best strucutred holes I've played and 8&9 are two of the best short par 4s in the World. Truly strategic. 13 back into the ocean is one of my favourite second shots of all time and then once you walk off 14 and cross the road to the private part of the course it is like entering Disneyland, starting with a classic short Par 3. A ripping hole indeed. 16 is the only problem - too hard for most golfers. MacKenzie didn't want to build it as I understand but Marion made him - it's entertaining none the less. There are far better long Par 3s out there but none with that view :). 17 is then just pure gold. The tee box, the tee shot, the strategy, the walk, the second shot in over the Cyrpess trees (or around if you hit a good drive....). Awesome.And as for the golf course being described as the best 17 holes ever built that is wrong. Completely wrong. 18 is awesome. It makes you 'have' to hit two good shots to have a go at par - and they are the hardest two shots to play - straight ones.A very very fun day.
September 28, 2012

Lawson Gay
I have played many of the worlds best over the years and I can honestly say that Cypress Point lives up to its billing as one of the greatest courses in the world. From the undulations of the fairways to the contours of the greens Dr Mackenzie created a masterpiece. You are given a quick glimpse of the ocean on a couple of occasions over the first 11 holes but miss it very little. The inland holes are so beautifully crafted and designed that feel that you are playing a parkland course. Numbers 12, 13 and 14 are fantastic holes that play alongside the coast.......Then you cross the street and round the corner to number 15 tee and it hits you that this may very well be the most beautiful place on earth. Seals, whales and birds on the rocks and in the ocean. Back to back par 3's that challenge you......one short and tight and the other a 220 yard carry over water to the green (if the wind isn't blowing). 17 itself is a tough par 4 that carves around the trees to the green. If ever you feel that you are content in this crazy game of ours it s when you leave a course such as this and think back over your round......it has been 2 weeks for me now and I relive it daily.....Oh......I made a 2 on 16.........driver into the wind and a 10 ft putt......
December 13, 2011

David Davis
In March of this year I had the honor of being invited by a member to play Cypress Point. There is no question that it will be one of the greatest golf experiences if not the greatest of my life. However before I try to put it into words something I find extremely difficult I wanted to answer a question that had been asked below. What are the green fees at extremely private courses in the US? Speaking only from my personal experience, ie perhaps other people have other experiences, I can share with you that in 99% of the cases there are no greenfees, as a guest (because that’s the only way to get on these courses) you are not allowed to see a bill or pay for anything, with a couple exceptions. It is to my knowledge proper etiquette to kindly ask your host if you may pay for your caddy, should you have one. In most cases this will be allowed. It is also proper to ask them what they would find an appropriate fee (that is if you have no idea yourself). I also always invite my hosts to dinner as well as offer to host them or any of their friends or acquaintances that might be travelling to my part of the world, be it for golf, business or pleasure.

Cypress Point Club - photo of David the reviewerFor me Cypress Point is the most expensive course I’ve ever played and yet the green fee was free. The caddy fee was $150 (my half, he had two bags, no problem), however, in order to accept the invite I had to change my plane ticket back to Amsterdam where I live, it wasn’t changeable, $1500 later I had a new return ticket a day later. On top of that I didn’t properly request permission from my now ex-fiancée before booking my trip, a fit was raised, there was no understanding and as a result no more relationship. Sad but true, I bet there isn’t a single golfer reading this that wouldn’t of understood how special this opportunity was and granted at least a hint of understanding. Thanks guys! Honestly, I’ll happily break off the next wedding as well if she won’t understand the need for me to accept the Augusta/Pine Valley invites if and when they come. I mean I would clearly understand the multiple long weekend shopping trips to Milan as a matter of exchange.

I attended a member/guest day, starting with drinks and lunch, our game and then cocktails after we finished. Expecting a good sized group I was rather shocked that there were a total of three guests (2 golfers) and 5 members that attended. Three of which my host had invited just to join for lunch because he had a guest from overseas. What an honor! Among them were a famous golf historian and wonderful gentleman and ex Cypress Point pro who shares the course record of 63 with Ben Hogan. At 41 years old I was the baby of the group, my host was 92 years young at time. The rich history and stories were flowing throughout, I just sat back and soaked it all up from gentlemen that had experienced it all first hand.

Cypress Point Club - photo by DavidAs prep for my round I had read ”The Match” by Mark Frost which depicts one of the most important golf matches of all time between pros, Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan against amateurs Harvey Ward and Ken Venturi which takes place at Cypress Point. A must read for golf fans. The round itself, well Cypress Point is amazing, the course plays much like the reading of a great novel that builds slowly to an amazing climax, the first 6 holes winding their way through the coastal pine forest with the next 6 holes running through the dunes only to reach an amazing climax unique in the golf world with the last holes all running near or along the ocean. We had a perfect day, beautiful blue skies and a light 1-2 club breeze blowing.

Upon reaching the 15th hole I was already in awe and while as previously mentioned it was but a short iron. I believe I hit a 9 myself on the day into the wind. It’s the most beautiful golf hole I’ve ever seen. The 16th makes your heart beat in your throat, hitting straight into the wind. It was arguably a driver on our day, 231 yds plus a 2 club breeze into your face. I chose a 3 wood and decided to give it a bit more. Unlike the chaps below that all seem to hit the ball to a tap in distance on this tough hole I pulled mine left, tough to control the adrenaline rush. Luckily for me the ice plant stopped it from going off the cliff to the left of the green. I chunked it out and escaped with a bogey. My provisional ended on the front right side of the green. All the gentlemen I played with also made bogeys by taking McKenzie’s alternative route to the left which allows you to play the hole as a par 4 with only a 100 yard carry to a partially blind fairway.

Cypress Point Club - photo by DavidIt was however on the 17th tee box that I was struck by the hand of golf enlightenment and had an emotional moment I am sure will not soon be equaled. Standing on the tee box perched atop the rock outcropping surrounded by the Pacific with waves crashing all around and sea lions barking a group of whales breached off to our right and it hit me that was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen in all my travels. A truly emotional moment, I hung back from the group to take it all in, every one to the man understood and claimed to be honored with my reaction, after all that may well be the desired effect of this masterpiece and as MacKenzie stated there will never be a another course graced with the magical natural surroundings with which he had to work with.

An amazing round of golf for me is much more than playing well on a nice course, I shot a 79 on the day which wasn’t great and even missed my put to win our match on the last hole, tough with tears in your eyes I must admit. At Cypress Point it was the total experience, the camaraderie, the history, the beauty, the course itself, the service and welcome, my game on the day and the emotional impact that made this the greatest round of golf in my life.
September 07, 2011

JT
September 07, 2011
What a wonderful review, thanks for sharing your experiences, you are a very fortunate man!
Brian S
September 08, 2011
You highlight one very important factor in a great experience at a golf course. The course is only one part of it. If the other intangibles don't come off, it won't be great. You sound like you had a fantastic host who made the day very special for you.
martin Lehmann
September 15, 2011
I have been to Cypress Point a couple of years ago but didn't get passed the entrance gate where I stood like a little boy in front of a candy store gazing through the steel bars to get a glimpse of the course before I was sent away by an extremely unfriendly women. You are a lucky man. Really liked your review which shows deep understanding, love and respect for the greatest game on earth.
Javier Pintos
“Gave it all in 3 holes”: my unforgettable round at Cypress Point. During early March 2011 a friend of mine suggested me to invite two newyorkers that were visiting Argentina to play my home course, Golf Club Argentino. This couple named Peter and Marie Minnick happened to be members of Maidstone and friends of members of the most private courses in USA. Cypress Point - Photo by reviewerDuring the round I spoke a lot to them about my business and how I was involved in the golf industry and they showed a lot of interest, and the will to help me to get more golfers to Argentina. And I also told them about the IAGTO NAC in Monterey, California. It happened that after golf and during lunch, Marie told me she could get me to play Cypress Point and that she would be very glad to make the try, to what I answered that it would make me the happiest golfer on earth.

Some days later and after knowing my schedule for the show, I emailed Marie with possible dates to play CP and just a couple of hours later I got the confirmation for a fourball on May 23rd! What is even better is that I could invite some friends to share the unique experience. So I got in contact with Alberto Agrest, a lifetime friend living in NY and who invited me to play Winged Foot and National Links of America some years ago and also told him to invite his 17 year old son Tommy, who is also a scratch golfer. Juan Pablo De Bary, golfing mate from Buenos Aires, completed the fourball. Just as an addition, we played all together Black Horse, Pasatiempo and Spyglass as well, not a bad golfing trip at all!!!!

The night before I was so anxious I could hardly sleep thinking all the time on the moment we arrived to tee 16th, the most famous spot on the Golf Course. We arrived very early to Cypress, around 7:15am and after some short warming up at the putting green and changing shoes at the locker room, we started the adventure of playing an authentic jewel. The Club House is charming and simple, as well as the small proshop in which you can find a big variety of stuff to buy as a lifetime memory from your visit to this golfing meca. The course is a masterpiece in every aspect: design, shape, variety, landscaping, views … everything gets together to make your round a big star in your golfing life.

The course can be divided into 4 parts: the first 6 holes in which you play inside the forest, but where you find lots of different challenges as the 2nd shot on par 5 5th, the tee shot on par 5 2nd or tee shot to par 3 7th in which you have to be really very precise. The second part is when you first play towards the sea at tee 8th and tee 9th, two really very interesting tee shots and even harder approaches, then you have easy par 5 10th as an impasse to 4 consecutive par 4s where you can destroy your round. Actually I gave it all between 11 and 13: after a slow start I birdied 9th and 10th to stand 1 over par at tee 11th and then my caddie Marty said “Here is where the golf course begins” and he was right as I gave 7 shots on those 3 holes!!

In this spot Marty my caddie told me the best story of the day: young Andy Bean was 7 under (32 on front nine plus eagle on 10) on the AT&T Pro-am on a day of very strong wind we he was told to try not to spoil his round in the wind, “I saw it all” was his answer. The story Cypress Point - Photo by reviewerends with a 13 over 48 on the back nine including that eagle, amazing!!!! Something similar happened to me and it was really disappointing as I dreamed to score a good round, but sometimes this happens. After two good shots and a narrow birdie miss on 14th we followed to the last, best and nicest part of the course.

The walk to tee 15th is adrenalinic, once you climb those last steps you stand in the all life dreamed spot in golf. Those 4 last holes are not only nice but also challenging and in different way: 15th is a short iron but surroundings can really distract you (hit the green and 2 putts for par), 16th is the bravest carry I have ever faced (together with 13th hole at Punta Espada in Cap Cana) where I narrowly missed the green but up and down for par (I also hit a mulligan and got it towards 20 feet from the pin), then 17th is a panoramic but not that tough drive (driver, 58° and 2 putts for par) and finally 18th a very nice tee box by the sea heading to a very nice uphill par 4 with a very elevated green, another par for the nicest walk I ever made playing golf.

What else can I say? I keep as a memory the scorecard, yardage book, the club rules, the invitation letter and some stuff bought at the small and charming proshop. If you are ever lucky to play this course, try not to get too distracted with the atmosphere and views, try to play golf!!! When I got some concentration I hit really good shots, but every now and then distraction and too many pictures cost me a lot of strokes. If it happens that I am invited again, I will not take my camera, and I will try only to hit a couple of decent golf shots and not to lose focus. An unforgettable golf round, a lifetime achievement, the chance of breathing the truest possible golf experience, the chance to watch a masterpiece in design, the opportunity to be an elite golfer for one day, to listen to the best golfing stories in the last century … CYPRESS POINT IS ALL THAT TOGETHER!!!
June 15, 2011

David Wilkinson
There are plenty of par 3 tee shots to get the adrenaline going in every golfer: Perhaps the 17th at TPC Sawgrass, the 12th at Augusta or the ‘postage stamp’ 8th at Royal Troon. However, nothing can compare to the daunting task of carrying 215 yards of open Pacific Ocean as the waves crash onto rocks far below the cliff on which you stand. Not to mention that five bunkers surround the green, should you be so bold as to make it there. Of course, there is a bailout option with a shorter carry to the left, but this is a par 3 and which self-respecting golfer would shy away from the challenge? After all, this is the 16th at Cypress Point!

Course reviewer David donates a ball to the PacificLike many before and many to follow, I gifted the Pacific yet another ball after it cannoned off the cliff face, just a couple of feet below the green. Despite my heroic attempt failing, this was the most exhilarating and fulfilling experience of my golfing life. Of course it’s not a purist’s par 3, as you need to be a long-hitter and a straight long-hitter at that, just to have a chance of making the green in regulation. The 16th is pure fantasy and the feeling as I emerged from the cluster of Cypress trees to see the most glorious sight in golf will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Make no mistake though, the holes leading up to and following the fabled par 3, are far from a support act. In my opinion, this is the most perfect golf course on earth, with eighteen beautifully-crafted holes forming Alister Mackenzie’s most thrilling progression of twists and turns. Unlike many of its neighbours, Cypress Point does not boast a palatial clubhouse. It is a relatively small building with its locker room appearing unchanged in a hundred years and a tiny pro shop, with odds and ends of club merchandise crammed-in on rails and tables. Whilst guests are not allowed in the clubhouse without being accompanied by a member, I found all of the staff and caddies to be incredibly friendly and welcoming. Their guidance was crucial at the 1st tee, where a six-foot hedge stands between you and the fairway. Only after emerging from behind this obstacle does it truly feel like you are on the course.

The par 4 1st serves as a gentle introduction before McKenzie tests you with the longest hole on the course, a tricky par 5 which climbs steadily away from the ocean and towards the forest. The 3rd is a relatively straightforward par 3, requiring a decent mid to high iron shot to avoid a series of sprawling bunkers, which will punish anything falling short and right. Following a tight tee-shot on the par 4 4th hole, you journey into the forest and face a tricky uphill approach into an undulating green. It feels like a different course here, as the tall Monterey Pines grow denser and narrow the fairways on surely the best back-to-back par 5s to be found anywhere. The 5th hole perfectly divides each one of your shots to the green with three distinct plateaus, separated by steep uphill climbs and classic McKenzie bunker complexes. Number six curves gently to the left and swoops softly down back towards the dunes, with a long and narrow bunker cleverly-positioned behind the green to deter longer hitters blasting a 3-wood at the pin. These par 5s are designed to be played as such and with steady, straight shots, I managed to play them in regulation. The tree-lined fairways and measured terrain changes test your accuracy before progressing onto the dunes, where the par 3 7th leads onto a ledge, from which you hit a blind tee shot on the dog-leg 8th over a monstrous dune. It is not necessary to shape your shot left to right here, but simply to take a line from the caddie and hit a straight drive which will set you up for a short iron or wedge up to the T-shaped green.

The 9th tee provides one of the great vistas of Cypress point, looking over the picturesque bunkering around the 13th green with the Pacific Ocean in the background. 9, 10 and 11 all present choices on line and length to be made from the tee, but the way in which the holes lie mean you can map out your route to the green, without any blind shots to contend with. McKenzie’s philosophy on minimising blind shots is then displayed alongside his belief that a course should utilise natural beauty, as the 12th and 13th feature remarkable examples of bunkers blending seamlessly into sand dunes.

Cue scene change again, as you leave the dunes behind and begin the stunning sequence of ocean holes. A wide open fairway on 14 invites you to open your shoulders before steering your approach shot through a narrow gap in the Cypress trees to a small green which slopes significantly back to front. Now onto the most idyllic and thrilling three-hole progression in the world, due in large part to the incredible scenery, dramatic cliffs and invigorating ocean breeze. The way in which McKenzie utilised the jagged coastline here though is nothing short of genius. Only Amen Corner at Augusta National can come anywhere close to the notoriety of this trio. With back-to-back par 3s at 15 and 16, you are challenged by tee shots over gushing waves and families of seals on the rocks below, but also by undulating greens and intricate bunkers which drain balls from the edge of the putting surface.

Cypress Point 15th - photo by DavidDespite being the shortest hole on the course with the highest stroke index, I would argue that the 15th is far from the easiest. A short and high flight is required to battle with the ocean wind off the tee and no less than eight bunkers surround Cypress Point’s smallest green. It presents a totally different set of challenges to the 16th, which requires a solid fairway wood or even driver, for most amateurs to consider getting close to the green. The 17th then gives no respite as it demands yet another tee shot across the ocean to a fairway aligned tightly with the cliff-top. However, the biggest hazard here is a clump of trees which break up the direct route to the green. They force a choice of playing safely around to the left, or flirting with another steep drop into the water by cutting the corner from the right of the fairway. Whilst my approach came up short of the green here, I was saved from losing another ball by a greenside bunker with a thirty-foot drop from its back lip onto the rocks below.

Before playing Cypress Point, I had seen the 18th described as little more than a walk back to the clubhouse and the one weakness in McKenzie’s masterpiece. I beg to differ, as it is perhaps only because of the dramatic progression leading up to the final hole that a golfer leaves slightly disappointed with the finale. The 18th actually requires precise placement off the tee, where a drive to the left half of the fairway will set up a straight shot up through the tight chute of tall Cypress trees to the green. After watching my trademark fade/slice return on this hole though, I was left with no line to the green and had to play sideways before making my approach. The final green slopes consistently back to front and sits in the shadow of the understated green and white clubhouse. Faced with a long putt here, I pictured Ben Hogan draining his lengthy birdie effort in 1956, when he set the course record of 63 which still stands today. Try telling the ‘Hawk’ that the 18th is a stroll back to the clubhouse!

Granted, the vast majority of golfers will only ever dream of playing Cypress Point. I count myself as immensely privileged to have been invited through the gates to experience the majesty of Monterey’s crown jewel. The vivid detail I have recounted in this review bears testament to the elation and excitement on every hole. Cypress Point filled me with a sense of awe that I am sure no other golf course on earth could match.
June 09, 2010

Sam
November 25, 2010
I know this sounds stupid but is it possible for anyone who has played this course, or any private courses in USA that are in the top 100, to put a few examples of green fees on here. Being from the UK we are not used to this 'members and their guests only' and would love to know how much people have to pay to be a 'guest'?
JAS
January 24, 2011
Doesn't sound stupid at all Sam, The exclusivity of the top American Courses is something that wrankles with me as I've always viewed golf as a peoples game to be enjoyed by millions not be the preserve of the few. Quite frankly a members only course should automatically lose a ball for it's lack of access. Furthermore if a Cypress, Augusta, Pine Valley or Shinnecock member rolled up at St Andrews or Carnoustie (Municiples & therefore owned by the people) and wanted a game should be met with a "let us play yours and you can play ours"
Sam
January 25, 2011
To be honest it surprises me greatly that the limits on the availability of golf in America doesn't cause more fuss. If it became par for the course in the UK I know the game would greatly suffer and dissolve. We have hardly any totally private courses and I am very proud to say that! I know people pay obscene amounts to be members of exclusive courses, and that I'm guessing is the status and bragging rights of it, but golf, in the UK, is still the peoples game and I hate the fact that people can't get the chance to step in the footsteps of their heroes. Surely one 4-ball a day won't hurt!
chappers
April 17, 2011
Sam guest fees are usually in the region of $150 to $250 plus caddie
Javier Pintos
June 09, 2011
Sam I was invited last month and paid u$250 for green fee plus u$100 for caddie (u$80 plus tip). You will have my review soon
Ian William Halliwell
Yes Cypress is possibly, nay probably the best course I have played. I have recently completed a Round the Word Extravaganza...... starting at Sngapore, Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, Canada, California, Vegas, Florida, Bermuda, Spain and back to the UK..... Certainly drop dead sensational, shocked at 18th hole, pales next to Pebble and Koolau.... but views sensational, better than NSW, Kauri or Kidnappers or Pebble.... as good as but not significantly better. My main quibble remains exclusivity. I wanna play in the footsteps of my heroes not Carmel's millionaires. One of the greatest yes, the best maybe.
April 19, 2010

John Garrett
I played CP in 2000 and they were kind enough to lend me some clubs. I wouldn't say they were old but the woods really were woods. We were a 4 ball and made up half of the course players on this pleasant Saturday afternoon. The course itself is a treasure meandering along the Pacific beach and past Clint's old house. The picture hole is the 16th par 3 over the pacific. I was playing with Jay Townsend and a couple of business colleagues. On the 16th Jay hit a two iron into the Pacific while my borrowed 3 wood gave up the ghost and broke in two. Jay then hit a driver to within 5 feet while my next effort was less dry. There was no visitors' shop, changing room, bar or restaurant. I adored the course, the stillness only broken by the waves crashing against the rocks.
January 19, 2010

matt odell
Played in April 2009, with what is the best golfing experience of my life. We played Pebble a day later and it does not compare. We were lucky to be able to play and thank the gofling gods for this every day. The hospitality was second to none all the way round, which made the visit all the better. Then we played the course, the course winds its way through the forest and the out into the ocean holes, the forest holes themselves are wonderful leading into the best stretch of golf I have ever played, to have goose bumps all the way round the course will only tell you how good it was.. For me it was magestic the way as we played 14(the first of the ocean holes) that the sun came out for the first time and then having birdied 15 was lost for words as I stood on number 16(the best par 3 in golf) and tried to have the courage to hit a hard 3 wood.. Someone once wrote that if given the chance to play at Cypress on the day of your Daughters wedding you cancel the wedding.. It might have to be an option, trust me.. Thanks to all that allowed to experience a once in a lifetime day..
November 16, 2009

Tom Birkert
Incredible. Although Pine Valley is a sterner test of your golf game (as indeed are the likes of Shinnecock, Muirfield, Merion etc), nothing I've played thus far tops Cypress Point. It's justly celebrated for the 15th and 16th, but the earlier holes are fantastic. The whole atmosphere makes it a special place. If you ever get the chance to play it then drop everything and do it. Golfing heaven! Oh, and as for how to be invited, it's not what you know, it's who...
November 30, 2008

Mike
January 29, 2012
You dont have to know anyone in the UK to play some of the best courses in the world - The home of golf, the peoples game, not the elect few !
Kurt Krause
Can't give this course a perfect score. The greens were in terrible shape. I am sure it was temporary, but they were just missing grass in many spots and were very bumpy. Other than that, could be the best course I ever played. The last four holes may be the best in all of golf.
September 14, 2008

Lincoln
November 14, 2008
I do not think you played cypress if you can not give it a perfect score. I have played Royal County Down and Cypress. Cypress is hands down the better course. I do not know how Cypress is not the number one course in the world? The 15th and 16th holes are hands down the best two holes in golf. On 15 I hit 8 feet and then my dad steps up and almost holes it on me. Then 16 there was a very light wind and hit a nice 3 wood to the left and made up and down. It was trully a great day, best round of my life shot a 78 from the tips.
Kurt Krause
November 23, 2010
Response to your response! I did play it and I can give it any rating I please. The greens were just flat out bad. I hit it 3 feet on 16 and tapped in, final score 73 and yes from the tips. Stick that in with all your shots and your 78.
Simon
November 24, 2010
I haven't played Cypress Point and am never likely too as I don't know any extremely rich people who are members. However if I did play it I imagine I would probably knock it to within 1ft on 16 and would probably shoot 72 from the tips.
alan
November 25, 2010
nice simon, but I dreamed I played it last night, aced 16 with a 9 iron and shot 65... from the tips!