Cypress Point - California - USA

Pebble Beach,
California (CA) 93953,

• No website available

• 2 miles NW of Pebble Beach

• Members and their guests only

Every true golfer would love to play Cypress Point, but the reality of the matter is that unless you are in the know, only a lucky few will ever get the chance to tee it up on the 1st. Folklore has it that J.F. Kennedy was once refused entry to the restaurant and, with only 250 members, mere mortals find it hard to get a game.

Cypress Point Club is set at the foothills of the Santa Lucia Mountains on the very tip of the Monterey Peninsula and the cliff top terrain is varied and thrilling. Almost as many superlatives have been used to describe the beauty of the location as the course itself.

Masa Nishijima, co-author of Tom Doak’s Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, commented as follows: “Seth Raynor was under contract to do the course, but Raynor passed away in 1926 before the start of construction, and Robert Hunter managed to convince the client to let Dr. MacKenzie have a look at the course when he made his first visit to California later that year.”

“The best 17-hole course in the world” is how Cypress Point has been described. The closing hole is considered by some to be little more than a route back to the clubhouse and perhaps the 16th hole is a weakness too, especially if you can’t carry the ball more than 200 yards into the prevailing wind. The Pacific is the ultimate water hazard on this 231-yard one-shot hole. It’s considered the best golf hole in the world or the worst if you dump your third tee shot into the sea.

David commented on our Cypress Point article. We feel his points are valid and worthy of sharing:

“While most of your course intros seem ok, this one is really off. It was one guy, Jimmy Demaret that called Cypress Point the best 17-hole course he's ever played. He was a great pro, but not an expert in golf course architecture by any means. Granted the 18th might be a little strange, but it's a great hole in its own right. At most courses maybe even their signature hole. A blind tee shot over Cypress Trees to a narrow fairway the dog legs steep up a hill to a green sloping form back to front with a huge cypress tree blocking out the entire left side of the green requiring a perfect drive to have a chance at the green with a shaped approach from an uneven lie. Land it too deep above the hole and you’re faced with a treacherous putt, miss right while shaping your shot and you are in one of the bunkers guarding the green. Does that sound at all like a weak hole?

Also the 16th is not properly described. In typical MacKenzie fashion this hole can be played many ways. He always leaves a way for weaker golfers. The 16th is no different. If the carry is impossible for your ability level you can play left requiring a carry of around or less than 100 yards to a partially hidden fairway and play this hole as a par 4. Any level can do this. I watched a 92 year old man par the hole with no problem in that fashion. So I'd argue this is not my opinion even, it's just plain fact which makes the intro you have incorrect and a bit unfair to Cypress Point and to MacKenzie.”

Reviews for Cypress Point

Description: Cypress Point Club is set at the foothills of the Santa Lucia Mountains on the very tip of the Monterey Peninsula and the cliff top terrain is varied and thrilling. Rating: 9.9 out of 10 Reviews: 31
Ian William Halliwell
Yes Cypress is possibly, nay probably the best course I have played. I have recently completed a Round the Word Extravaganza...... starting at Sngapore, Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, Canada, California, Vegas, Florida, Bermuda, Spain and back to the UK..... Certainly drop dead sensational, shocked at 18th hole, pales next to Pebble and Koolau.... but views sensational, better than NSW, Kauri or Kidnappers or Pebble.... as good as but not significantly better. My main quibble remains exclusivity. I wanna play in the footsteps of my heroes not Carmel's millionaires. One of the greatest yes, the best maybe.
April 18, 2010

John Garrett
I played CP in 2000 and they were kind enough to lend me some clubs. I wouldn't say they were old but the woods really were woods. We were a 4 ball and made up half of the course players on this pleasant Saturday afternoon. The course itself is a treasure meandering along the Pacific beach and past Clint's old house. The picture hole is the 16th par 3 over the pacific. I was playing with Jay Townsend and a couple of business colleagues. On the 16th Jay hit a two iron into the Pacific while my borrowed 3 wood gave up the ghost and broke in two. Jay then hit a driver to within 5 feet while my next effort was less dry. There was no visitors' shop, changing room, bar or restaurant. I adored the course, the stillness only broken by the waves crashing against the rocks.
January 19, 2010

matt odell
Played in April 2009, with what is the best golfing experience of my life. We played Pebble a day later and it does not compare. We were lucky to be able to play and thank the gofling gods for this every day. The hospitality was second to none all the way round, which made the visit all the better. Then we played the course, the course winds its way through the forest and the out into the ocean holes, the forest holes themselves are wonderful leading into the best stretch of golf I have ever played, to have goose bumps all the way round the course will only tell you how good it was.. For me it was magestic the way as we played 14(the first of the ocean holes) that the sun came out for the first time and then having birdied 15 was lost for words as I stood on number 16(the best par 3 in golf) and tried to have the courage to hit a hard 3 wood.. Someone once wrote that if given the chance to play at Cypress on the day of your Daughters wedding you cancel the wedding.. It might have to be an option, trust me.. Thanks to all that allowed to experience a once in a lifetime day..
November 16, 2009

Tom Birkert
Incredible. Although Pine Valley is a sterner test of your golf game (as indeed are the likes of Shinnecock, Muirfield, Merion etc), nothing I've played thus far tops Cypress Point. It's justly celebrated for the 15th and 16th, but the earlier holes are fantastic. The whole atmosphere makes it a special place. If you ever get the chance to play it then drop everything and do it. Golfing heaven! Oh, and as for how to be invited, it's not what you know, it's who...
November 30, 2008

Mike
January 29, 2012
You dont have to know anyone in the UK to play some of the best courses in the world - The home of golf, the peoples game, not the elect few !
eric olson
I was lucky enough to be on the course maintenance staff form 99 - 01, and with that got to play the course many times. During my time there, we were very active in the renovation of the course to what A.M. designed in 1928. Dunes were restored, bunkers replaced, and greens returned to the original contours. The course has been described as the holy grail of golf, and I will tell you it is better than that!! First of all, 18 is not just a walk back to the clubhouse. Granted the originally designed tee, on the cliffs, would have been more dramatic and more dangerous, I think people don't like the hole because you have to think and not just pull out the $400 driver. A tee shot must be acurate in distance and direction to even have a chance at getting in the correct positon on a very difficult green. The walk up the Fwy to the green is incredable, with an unblocked view back to the Pac Ocean and the Fwy lined with the charicteristic bleached skeleton Cypress trees, you will not forget the 18th. Once at the green complex you will love newly renovated bunkers, I was in-charge of restoring those. The rest of the course has been talked about enough for everyone to know it is increadble, but the feeling of walking those Fwys when your group may be the only one on the course is electric. And when you cross 17 mile drive from 14 green to 15 tee , it it all you can do to catch your breath. It is an old golf course that some modern players may not like, or understand, but you have to think your way around it and not just hit driver!! Without a question the best course in the world, and I have been lucky enough to play Pebble, nextdoor to Cypress and Monterey Penn CC, Pasatempio, Muirfield, Crystal Downs, St Andrews and The Brabazon in the UK. Benifits of being good at Golf Course Managemnt. I will never forget my time at Cypress, and still remember the lump in my throat I had the last time I got to walk up the 17th Fwy and looked around at the Pacific and the Cypress Forest.
May 18, 2008

Andy Pollock
February 28, 2013
Great to read all the reviews but the best summary is by the member of the green staff involved in the changes around 2000. Some people dismiss the eighteenth but his summary is spot on, it is both a tricky and good looking hole. A great summary and I could do no better just to add that Cypress is the greatest golfing experience matched only by driving off the first at St Andrews for the first time!
Tom Way
I felt that cypress point was without a doubt the most compelling assortment of holes I have ever been lucky enough to step foot on. The 16th drop par 3 over water with bunkers surrounding the edge of the cliff was magnificent and although the relatively short par 4 second was on paper the easiest on the course it in no way played that way. The endulating hills, dips and bunkers along with the roaring cyprian ocean below all came together to produce a fantastic sensational course.
December 01, 2007

Tim McDonald
The first six holes start eastward and inland and feel grand like Augusta National, the next six holes are links styled as you head back towads the Pacific Ocean and the final six holes feel similar to Pebble Beach.
October 03, 2007

meilers
I had the opportunity to play the course in June of 2006...what a treat. From the first tee shot to the last approach shot the course is spectacular. We had wonderful weather which made the day all the more enjoyable. Although not the longest of courses, you have to work your ball around the course if you want to score. I was lucky enough to hit a rescue club on 16 to 20 feet and make the putt.
August 30, 2007

Rob
Cypress Point Club has got to be the most beautiful set of 18 holes I have had the honor of playing. I got the chance to play the course earlier this month with my father and can honestly say that it is a memory I will carry with me wherever I go. The finishing holes are some of the most scenic in all of golf. Nothing compares to the sites and the sounds of playing golf right beside the Pacific ocean. If you ever get the chance to play, do not even think twice about it.
July 19, 2007

David
It was a real privilege to be invited to play this course. The first 12 or so holes are inland and are excellent in their own right. A wonderfully designed course with imaginative green placements that combines natural dunes and man-made bunkering almost imperceptibly. Each hole is a treat as you do not know what to expect from the unexpected combination of pine forest and wild dunes. When you emerge at the shore line the course jumps to another level as the combination of wizened cypress trees and the skill with which the holes are placed in the natural beauty of the environment is breath-taking. Yes I put the 16th into the water, but you can't avoid having a go, (I did par the 15th). The 18th is a slightly odd trail back to the club house. The pro shop and caddies are extremely friendly - you are encouraged to take a mulligan on the first, and they do their best to relax and engage you as you go round. However the clubhouse itself is fiercely protected from any wandering non-members. All in all an absolute must if you can get on as it knocks the spots off Pebble which is a disappointment - it needs a member's introduction though.
May 29, 2007