Review for Delamere Forest

Delamere Forest was one of my golfing highlights of 2019. I teed it up here immediately after the club’s hosting of the Women’s County Finals in September and the course was polished to absolute perfection.

Delamere Forest Golf Club

Tom Doak drew an interesting parallel, suggesting Delamere is North West England’s version of the North East’s Ganton. It’s an astute comparison as both have sand to spare underfoot and both are laid out on a grand scale. In my opinion Delamere has more exciting topography than Ganton, but Ganton has better green complexes.

There’s a real sense of stepping back in time at Delamere, where tradition is front and centre. The on course architecture follows a similar pattern to the club itself, there’s nothing brash, just delightful understated elegance. Delamere is right up my street, it has everything I like in a golf course.

The tumbling ground is perfect and the thrills and spills build as the round progresses through a fascinating routing of twists and turns up and down the heathery valleys.

I don’t know why Delamere has never been listed in our Britain & Ireland Top 100 before now. The club’s heartland location, off the beaten tourist trail, maybe a contributing factor. I’m sure if this course were set anywhere near the heathlands of London it would be a completely different story.

Date: November 20, 2019