Review for Delamere Forest

Delamere Forest is a superb golf course and along with Royal Liverpool I am certain that you have the top two courses in Cheshire here. A different type of course to its links counterpart, comparisons have been drawn between Yorkshire's Ganton and Delamere and I believe that this is fair. Sandy turf is the order of the day with bunkers aplenty, interesting tumbling fairways and a premium placed on course strategy. Framed by wild grasses, gorse and solitary pines, the course as manicured to perfection and the definition between fairway, semi and rough was clear. On my visit I played the back nine first starting with the tenth hole, but this didn't skew my perception of the course one bit - indeed the 9th hole would provide any course with a strong closing 18th hole. Highlights for me were the 14th and 15th holes (my 5th and 6th) and the 17th and 18th (my 8th and 9th). The 14th and 15th are two lovely short par 4's with sloping fairways framed by heather, and greens set below tall pines; and the 17th and 18th are a strong, long par 4 and par 5 to finish your round. The old fashioned clubhouse provides an excellent backdrop to the closing holes and it is an excellent spot to soak in the panoramic views back up the course - a day at Delamere Forest is like stepping back of time and traditional in every sense of the word; the course is fully deserving of its spot in the British and Irish elite.

Date: September 23, 2020