Review for Diamante (Dunes)

It was a long awaited visit as in 2014 in my previous trip to Los Cabos I was not able to even get inside the property. But this time with some time in advance and help from a friend I was able to play one of the best courses in the world, who in some rankings is a top 50 (and I believe it deserves the spot!).

Diamante Dunes Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

It was not a one day visit, before play I had to go to an interview and was showed the different lodging alternatives, the par 3 Oasis Course (designed by Tiger Woods) and some parts at El Cardonal and after that interview I got my spot to play the following day.

My tee time was scheduled at 2pm and was told to arrive not before 12:30pm which I of course did as I was told. Once you arrive to the entrance of the Resort the guy in the gate will know your name, your tee time and everything from you. Even at the Club House the guys that receives you, the starter, the waiter at the palapa in the driving range where you have lunch will know who you are. Is it nice? More than it, just shows how they treat you and what you are about to experience.

Once arrived I was taken to the driving range where after a nice and private practice session I had lunch in the palapa with some iguanas walking around me, not bad!!!

Diamante Dunes Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

It was a little disappointing to play on my own, but there was nobody there and it was just my caddie and me. I decided to play the Tee II (6700yds par 71) which with the wind blowing I considered an enough challenge together with fun.

The course is not like every other Caribbean paspalum grass one, it is sort of wild, like an UK Links course but by the Sea of Cortez with different grass and less roll from the tee shots. It was really windy and tough but I played some really good golf which made it a lot of fun although playing alone.

Each hole has a challenge, each one has a trademark, everything is totally special. Again, describing every hole could be find on the internet, will try to say what is special:

- Tee 1st elevated to the fairway offers a very nice view of the course and ocean.

Diamante Dunes Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

- Par 3 2nd played totally downwind, elevated again from the green where you need some roll to get to the green

- Elevated green on 3rd offers quite a challenge playing into the wind.

- Par 3 5th has a very wide and shallow green, with wind acorss I was left with a 20mts putt for birdie.

- Par 3 7th played 250 downwind, hit a hybrid to that green

- Par 4 9th with the false green like Mackenzie did at 10th of Jockey Club Red Course is something I loved!

- Par 3 10th is a new hole, done because old 18th was torn away to build a hotel.

- Par 4 11th from an elevated tee has maybe the best tee shot on the course.

Diamante Dunes Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

- On 12th green you can see 9-10-11 from Neighbour Quivira, nicest part of the course.

- Par 4 14th downwind was drivable.

- Par 3 17th into the wind played something like 30yds longer

- Par 5 18th is a great hole but playing downwind and if you miss the tee shot it is impossible to hold the ball from 80yds

The walk with my caddie was very enjoyable, he knew perfectly well the course and every piece of advice was useful for me.

On 14th hole I was let through by the owner of the project, I felt really embarrassed after driving the green 3 putting from 12mts.

Everything here is about discretion and quality. Had the chance to eat some wraps after the game and it was the best food I ate in 10 days at Los Cabos.

It is not easy to get here, but if you have the chance go and play. I know many wil lwant to play El Cardonal (Tiger Woods Design) but this one has a better piece of land and design, it is for some reason that it is a top 50 course in the world.

Date: August 08, 2017

Read all reviews about Diamante (Dunes)