Review for Donegal

The approach to the course and the clubhouse is very unusual, along a lengthy driveway flanked by mature trees...you may think that you are about to experience a heathland course rather than a links. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed my recent round at Murvagh, not least because I actually managed to better my handicap - for a change - although we steered clear of the back tees. Does the course really need to be more than 7,400 yards long? Length aside Donegal is certainly no pushover and scoring well will depend a lot on the wind (it was a benign day when we played) and accurate driving. The views across Donegal Bay are gorgeous, but I failed to connect with the course possibly due to Donegal's relatively flat topography unlike the rollicking Carne or Enniscrone which I much preferred. I found the more interesting holes at Donegal on the outer front side and the back inside loop rather anti-climatic and a little too up and down for my liking. However, it's certainly worth playing Donegal if you are in the area.

Date: June 25, 2005