Dromoland Castle - Clare - Ireland

Newmarket-On-Fergus,
Co Clare,
Ireland

• 18 miles NW of Limerick

• Open to visitors with handicap cert. Contact in advance.

• James Murphy

• Ron Kirby and Joe Carr

• David Foley

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Dromoland Castle

The course at Dromoland Castle has been around for over forty years but, in the last two years, dramatic changes have elevated it to new levels. The layout can now be bracketed alongside some of the other great household names in southwest Ireland, including Ballybunion, Waterville and Lahinch. Dromoland is certainly well worth a visit.

Located just eight miles from Shannon airport, the course is set within the magnificent 360-acre Dromoland Castle estate and it wends its way through woodlands, alongside lakes and across streams. The setting is nothing short of spectacular.

One of Europe’s most formidable design teams, Ron Kirby and Joe Carr, teamed up to re-design this parkland layout and the result is stunning. Kirby and Carr were the driving force behind Old Head, so it’s not surprising that drama is very much in evidence here at Dromoland Castle. This par 72 6,824-yard track features rolling hills, ancient trees and water hazards that will test all standards of golfer. From tee to green the views throughout are stunning, with Dromoland Lough and Castle providing a delightful backdrop.

The signature 7th, stands high above a postage stamp sized green with water left and a shamrock bunker to the right. The 9th is reminiscent of the 10th on the Brabazon course at the Belfry. The 280-yard carry to the green will tempt the big hitters.

With its new length and challenges, Dromoland Castle is now unquestionably championship quality and we believe that a significant tournament will be held here in the not too distant future. Dromoland also has one of the classiest castle hotels in Europe, dating back to the 16th century. It was once the ancestral seat of the O' Brien’s, one of the few native Gaelic Irish families of royal blood. So, if you fancy living like a king for a day or two, a visit to Dromoland Castle will fit the bill perfectly.

Reviews for Dromoland Castle

Description: The course at Dromoland Castle Golf Club has been around for over forty years but in the last two years, dramatic changes have elevated it to new levels. Rating: 4.8 out of 6 Reviews: 5

Tough start to the course, 2 par 4's and a par 3 that will test most handicaps - through here in net par and you have the basis of a decent score. Holes 4, 5 and 6 are nothing to remember the course by as there is not a lot of definition and views of the motorway are not that pleasing on the eye. From the 7th onwards the course has some wonderful holes and my rating from here to the finish is a 5-ball (the early holes even it out to an overall 4-ball score). Pick out holes for me are the par 5 11th with the tee shot across the marsh lands, and the very tough SI 1 par-4 16th. The marsh lands have to be negotiated again at the 17th (200 yard par-3) and the closing hole is a cracker; again the tee shot is over water and two more accurate shots are required to find the green which is situated below the castle. My visit to Dromoland was after playing on the south-west coast all week and on the way back to Shannon airport, mainly as it was the most convenient for my journey. I would have no problem in returning here as part of another scheduled trip, in fact I would recommend it. The accommodation in the castle is special too and customer service is of a high standard.
April 29, 2008

Totally underated course at Dromoland - fantastic layout with great views of the lake and the Dromoland Castle.This course plays a lot longer than the card would suggest and the staff in the Clubhouse were some of the friendliest we met on our visit.A true gem!!
August 05, 2006

Whilst on tour to County Clare this was one of the courses I played along with Lahinch.This is a very interesting course with some very impressive holes. The 7th and 10th notably are excellent, the 11th will catch a lot of people out as the carry from the tee to the dogleg is more than it looks.The greens were extremely quick but true.I liked this course a lot, I'd go back.
July 04, 2006

I had no problem whatsoever with the service, in fact I would go as far as to say it was very attentive (although I did pay the full whack). One of THE most gorgeous settings in the grounds of the castle. The course poses all sorts of difficulties, from the tricky greens through to the odd blind tee shot. Quality through and through and I'm pleased to see Dromoland moving up the rankings because so many resort courses come in for a hammering on this website. I have to find a venue that suits the familiy as well as my own golfing desires and therefore we generally choose a golf resort for a short-break treat... works for me!
January 19, 2006

Dromoland has a great castle and a superb location in a beautiful park close to Shannon airport.While irish people being extremely friendly is a (true) legend,this is the most unfriendly club I have ever visited.We agreed before our round a few days ago on a special rate and the guy in the proshop almost refused to stick to it while I presented a copy of the relevant emails. Then,we really felt that the starter would much rather do anything but talk to us!!Back to the course: immaculate condition all the way.While holes 1 to 3 are just an average appetizer and 4 to 6 are really insignificant,the rest were really good,especially all those holes that are located around the lake. Special mention to hole number 18.Welcome in the clubhouse after the game was a bit cold too. All in all a good experience for our round but very poor concerning the staff. Really enjoyed that course but will probably concentrate on links courses on next visit to lovely Ireland....
June 15, 2005