Review for Dromoland Castle

Tough start to the course, 2 par 4's and a par 3 that will test most handicaps - through here in net par and you have the basis of a decent score. Holes 4, 5 and 6 are nothing to remember the course by as there is not a lot of definition and views of the motorway are not that pleasing on the eye. From the 7th onwards the course has some wonderful holes and my rating from here to the finish is a 5-ball (the early holes even it out to an overall 4-ball score). Pick out holes for me are the par 5 11th with the tee shot across the marsh lands, and the very tough SI 1 par-4 16th. The marsh lands have to be negotiated again at the 17th (200 yard par-3) and the closing hole is a cracker; again the tee shot is over water and two more accurate shots are required to find the green which is situated below the castle. My visit to Dromoland was after playing on the south-west coast all week and on the way back to Shannon airport, mainly as it was the most convenient for my journey. I would have no problem in returning here as part of another scheduled trip, in fact I would recommend it. The accommodation in the castle is special too and customer service is of a high standard.

Date: April 28, 2008