Review for Dumbarnie Links

I was torn between 5 and 5.5 for this course,. Its a great course full of great holes, infact a good majority of the holes would stand out as signature holes on most golf courses. Strangely I think this amount of signature holes makes you get complacent about how good the place is, you walk onto the first 5 tees and go "oh my god" on each one, but then as I mention you get a bit "oh well another stunning hole , so what" it may actually sound daft but it may be too good ! I am unsure if when we played it the wind was unusual but I felt for the longer hitter the blue tees at 6500 were not tough enough, I hit all the par 5's in 2 and reached all the 3 risk reward par fours. So I would say if you re not a big hitter play off the blue tees and if you are long play off the blacks at 6900. A really great design, very interesting, amazing scenery, great greens and the par 3's are great if a little bit samey.

My major criticism would be the 10th hole, there is a lake on the right with a brook running all the way across the hole meaning on a 470 yard par 4 you have to lay up otherwise you run into the brook. Fine but if you get within 30 yards of the brook it is all downhill and you will find a watery finish, which I did. So a hole with a lay up at 220 and then a 250 yard approach needs looking at in my opinion.

Definitely definitely worth visiting, its a course that if you are miles off line it will kill you, but if you are moderately straight it is definitely not too penal and you could come off with an ego boosting score!

Date: September 09, 2020