Dumfries & Galloway Golf Club was established in 1890, moving four years after its formation from Kingholm to Summerhill, where the Troon professional Willie Fernie (winner of the Open at Musselburgh in 1883) set out a new 9-hole course for the members on a compact 36-acre tract of land.
In the mid-1930s, additional land became available to expand the layout to an 18-hole course and this new configuration remained intact until 1994, when a couple of fields were acquired from a local farmer, enabling the par three 9th to be extended to a par four and the old par three 15th to be replaced with a new par four 10th.The modern day layout now measures 6,222 yard from the medal tees. Featuring four par threes and only two par fives on the card (at holes 2 and 5), the course plays to a par of 70 and a standard scratch score of 71, with the newer nine holes set out between the 8th and 16th, across the A780 Castle Douglas Road, on the south side of the property.
The 'Galloway' is an excellent course and always in good condition. Some tough par 3s. Club motto is straight and true but if you can't do that then keeping to the left on most holes is the thing to do.