Review for Dunbar

Don’t ever agree to meet up with a girlfriend from your past. This rather aptly sums up Dunbar. On my first time playing the old links for around three years, on a trip taking in North Berwick, Luffness, Gullane 1 and Archerfield I’m sorry to report that all wasn’t well with the old girl; she’d certainly seen better days and most definitely needed to take herself in hand.

The course layout hadn’t changed; that wasn’t necessarily the issue but the condition was exceptionally poor. The green fee for a round was pushing £100 and was at least 100% overpriced. The fairways were patchy, the rough was chocked full of weeds and the greens running 7, at best, were woolly, slow and appeared not to have been cut in days. Most of the teeing grounds were surrounded by tatty, neglected walkways with weeds and neglect clear for all to see.

It’s a course that I’d enjoyed a number of times before but there’s clearly something badly amiss with the management and greens team. I felt sorry for my friends with whom I’d travelled and briefed on our journey across from Ayrshire. Thankfully we moved on, over the subsequent days of the trip, to find North Berwick and Luffness both in stunning condition.

I doubt I’ll be back to meet up with the old girl at Dunbar: best to keep happy memories from the past than to try and rekindle a faded and lost love.

Date: October 25, 2020