Dundalk Golf Club is located in the southern corner of Dundalk Bay with scenic views across the water to the Cooley Mountains and the mountains of Mourne beyond. It was here that the club was formed in 1905 so they have recently celebrated their centenary with a full program of events.
Because their clubhouse was burned down in 1964 with the loss of many records, the club made a special attempt to get members to supply mementos and other items to help bring 100 years of club history to life in a book to mark the occasion.
This 6,826-yard par 72 mature parkland course has undergone several design changes over the years. James Braid carried out modifications in 1934 and Dave Thomas upgraded the holes in 1980. More recently, there have been new greens laid at the 2nd, 4th, 7th and 10th under the guidance of Eddie Connaughton.
There is a fine run of holes starting from the 567-yard par five 7th named “The Haggard” which now plays to a new green tucked behind water. The next hole plays uphill at the 367-yard par four 8th – “the Old Clubhouse” – to a green hidden behind two sand hills. The 176 yard, par three 9th, called “Stile”, requires a tee shot to be arrowed to an elevated green sitting between two trees.
Dundalk Golf Club holds an annual Senior Scratch Cup which attracts many top amateurs from around the country. The club also hosted the All Ireland Club Finals in 1997.
November 07, 2011