Review for Dunmaglas

This is a course I took in during a recent trip to Northern Michigan. My wife and I were in Charlevoix and decided to play here. I guess I have to give this course just an okay. The first four holes and narrow and steep as you work your way up a large ridge. On the par-5 third the uphill was quite severe. My range finder said the second-shot player was 27 yards longer! Once you got around to 6 the course opened up on the backside of the ridge and there were quite a few nice holes around the back portion of the course. The land was open and sprawling and actually, this part of the course was quite fun. You returned to the ridge at the downhill par 4 14th, and the closing holes down from the ridge are quite challenging and fun.

I couldn't escape the feeling that if they had started the course around 5 or 6 and utilized the beautiful flowing land north of the ridge that they would have come up with a much better golf course. As it is you have an unusual combination of narrow, tree-lined holes combined with modern open designs on the back. It's like a weird fusion of Donald Ross mountain golf and modern golf design thrown together.

All in all, not a bad course to play but not one I would see out or travel to play

Date: September 15, 2021