In 1935, Orange Golf Club purchased 180 acres of the Duntryleague estate from the Catholic Church, which had inherited the property from a previous owner. The club's professional, John Irving, mapped out an 18-hole course within the grounds and his plans were approved by architect Eric Apperly.
The club engaged Latvian landscape architect Ilmar Berzins to undertake a masterplan of the course in 1949, setting out the existing tree species and specifying future plantings. Rather unusually, the fairways were then planted with South African couch, a drought-resistant grass.
Feature holes include the right doglegging 360-metre 4th, the short par four 14th, with out of bounds running the right side of the fairway, and the 182-metre 17th, played across a triangular-shaped irrigation pond to a long, narrow sand-protected green.