Review for Durban (Country Club)

A lovely golfing experience!

I played this course in the Durban winter, although admittedly it reached 27 degrees Celsius! The first 5 holes are literally some of the best holes you will find in golf. Elevated tee boxes, undulating fairways, beautiful views and challenging shots with risk/reward considerations. What an unbelievable start! The Par 3 2nd and Par 5 3rd are my favourite of the 5.

The Par 3 12th is a gem of a hole which punishes you if you don't find the green as it sits on a plateau. The closing 2 holes are my personal favourites on this course. The 17th is amazing in that the fairway undulates ridiculously, leaving you either a downhill or uphill shot depending on where your tee shot lands. The 18th is my favourite finishing hole in the world - a par 4 only requiring a 3-wood for myself to reach the green in 1 but the landing area is very narrow and will ruin your scorecard if you decide to take it on and land up hitting out of bounce (long or right).

What a lovely experience! At no point in my round did it feel like I was a stones throw away from the bustling city of Durban. I seriously would recommend any golfer visiting South Africa to make their way down to this lovely course.

The only reason I don't rate this course as excellent as there are a few holes in the middle 6 which are not very memorable and are quite short. Perhaps a different test when the wind is howling?

Date: August 14, 2018

Read all reviews about Durban (Country Club)