Review for Durness

I was visiting Durness and thought I'd pop in to see if I could get a game as I didn't imagine I'd be in Durness again as it is so remote. Once I'd found it, tucked away behind a derelict church, I was looking over a spectacular bay. Anyway I headed out without many great expectations just excited to be playing the most northerly course on the mainland. I loved it!

The first eases you in but with great views from the green. The second is a tricky Par 4 into the wind. Then on the 3rd tee you know you are somewhere unique and special. In front a Durness Golf Course - Photo by reviewerrising slope to a black and white marker with no other reference points, and the mountains in the distance. Behind the Balnakeil Beach. Such a beautiful place!

The green on the third is by far the trickiest to hit as it is only roughly 10 paces wide. The 4th is another semi blind tee shot and then a tricky green to hit. The 5th was a drive able Par 4 hitting downwind. Only if you carry it over the large mound in the fairway.

The 6th is in my opinion the signature hole a short Par 5 over water. Just beautiful. The 7th is a brutal 175 yard Par 3 into the wind. On the 8th tee you return the views of Balnakeil Bay with a strategic par 4. And then 9 is a cracking Par 3 over a cliff face back to the clubhouse.

It is worth mentioning that even in mid November the greens were immaculate and actually quite pacey! I was smiling the whole way around (it was rainy with 30mph gusts too) and hope to return again soon. It's a proper experience that I don't think you will experience anywhere else.

I've played all the Open rota course and many more aside but Durness for pure fun and enjoyment is now one of my favourite courses for sure.

Date: November 15, 2015