El Cortijo - Canary Islands - Spain

• Juan José Cardona González

• Blake Stirling & Marco Martin

• Not known

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at El Cortijo

The Canary Islands are on the same latitude as Florida but these delightful Spanish islands are only just beginning to realise their potential as a reputable golf destination.

El Cortijo was the first of the numerous Canarian courses to be featured on the Top 100 website, but it certainly wasn't the last. Measuring a healthy 6,308 metres from the tips, the challenging El Cortijo course was designed by Blake Stirling and Marco Martin. Despite its relative youth (opening for play in 1999), El Cortijo has already tested some of the world’s best golfers. Sergio Garcia claimed his national open here in 2002, winning the Canarias Open de España.

El Cortijo Club de Campo is laid out in a sequence of valleys. The land was once used for farming and there’s still a plethora of palm tree providing a wonderfully tropical backdrop. No expense has been spared, the manicured bent grass is cut for effect and the condition is exemplary. The front nine has a distinctly links-like feel to it and it’s also prone to the vagaries of the Atlantic winds (there are some great sea views too). The back nine is designed in a more traditional American-style with numerous lakes lurking to catch the wayward shot. A word about the greens... they are slick and deviously contoured. You will need to be wearing your best putting boots to avoid three putting here.

Finally, the course at El Cortijo is at the heart of a huge sports resort with excellent tennis and equestrian facilities. There’s even a great 9-hole par three course that’s great fun after a small bottle of San Miguel.

Reviews for El Cortijo

Description: El Cortijo was the first of the numerous Canarian courses to be featured on the Top 100 website, but it certainly wasn't the last. Rating: 4.8 out of 10 Reviews: 5

El Cortijo was the first course I played last week during a visit to all the golf facilities on Gran Canaria. First impressions count for a lot when arriving at a club and the place looked rather run down as I parked up in front of the clubhouse. It was early on a Sunday morning so I didn’t expect it to be exactly heaving with golfers but there El Cortijo Golf Course - Photo by reviewer were only another couple of cars parked up ahead of me, which kind of set the alarm bells ringing a little.

What was also in the back of my mind were a couple of recent reviews from golfers who said much the same thing: El Cortijo was living on past glories – the Spanish Open was held here in 2002 – and the owners were not investing in the club. Of greater concern to me was the unhappiness of one reviewer that this website was featuring the course too highly in its Canary Island charts, which was posing a big credibility question.

Well, I didn’t play the full 18-hole course as I’d seen enough on the front nine. They obviously have the bones of a good course here as it was designed by the reputable design firm of Blake Stirling and Marco Martin but the course has been sadly neglected for a while now. El Cortijo Golf Course - Photo by reviewer The fairways and greens must be cut from time to time but that’s about it as far as I could see. There’s no bunker maintenance and the empty irrigation pond has vegetation pushing through the torn liner – it’s really a sad and sorry state of affairs, to be honest.

I wouldn’t be doing my job properly if I didn’t tell things as they are. I think I’ve only ever awarded a 1-ball mark once before but El Cortijo now becomes the second course with that rather dishonourable distinction. I don’t know what problems lie behind the situation the club finds itself in but they really must be addressed if El Cortijo is to continue on an equal footing to the other golf courses promoted by Gran Canaria Golf in its brochures and on its website.

June 12, 2019

cayetano de marti

2017 has been a bad year for El Cortijo, the economic crisis and problems among the owners of the Club had paid a great toll in the Club. Since few months , a new Manager is in charge of the sports part of El Cortijo, and the golf course has been improved a lot.

I hope during 2018 the golf course and its facilities wil continue to improve , and will be back in the best 100th golf course list in Spain.

El Cortijo is near Las Palmas, is a modern course with long holes. It´s better to be in the fairway, the rough is dense.

Good restaurant (new owners) and great people working there.

January 31, 2018

Robert Dodson

I played El Cortijo last night managing to get out for 18 holes during a family holiday to Gran Canaria. I played the course solely based on the high ranking on this website.

Let me start with the positives.

- Friendly honest staff, the young man in the pro shop offered to let me use his clubs to play my round.

- Potential for a great facility.

- Design of back 9 really solid, with a closing set up ideal for big tournament play.

- Close and easy access to Las Palmas, if you're staying there.

And now for the negatives.

- Condition of course was terrible, second to a course I played in Croatia about 10 years ago which was practically a farmers field.

- I lost a ball in a bunker due to the amount of weeds and plants growing in it. All bunkers were the same, i.e. no sand, just compact grit covered in weeds.

- A twilight round cost me €40 and the clubs were €28 but the pro shop assistant gave me a reduced rate of €20 after I protested about the ancient set of Wilsons and that the set was not worth €28... So €60 for one the worst condition courses I've ever played. It was disgraceful value for money.

- The rough at the side of he course was deep and easy to loose a ball in off the fairway. Basically the course had not been touched for months, except the greens which had recently been hollow tined - I have no idea why they did this when the rest of the course was in such a poor state.

- For the last several years, I have always used Top100golf as my bible for courses in areas I am unfamiliar with. Having been so let down by the second place position in Gran Canaria of El Cortijo I will be seeking alternate sources in future when looking for courses to play. Totally let down by this website and golf course.

September 03, 2017

Robert Dodson
September 05, 2017

Thanks Keith for contacting me regarding my review of El Cortijo - understood that you will re-rank soon given your two year cycle.

Maria Dolores Jurado
El campo está a 10 minutos de Las Palmas. Tiene todo lo que se puede esperar de un campo que ha disputado un Open de España. Los grenes no son todo lo rápido que me gustaría, pero el campo es fabuloso. No es un campo de hoyos clonicos, cada uno de los 18 hoyos es diferente y sobre todo los segundos nueve son muy exigentes.Tiene un buen parking y unos vestuarios muy amplios. No hay problemas para jugar de lunes a viernes, el fin de semana lo llenan los socios.
October 11, 2013

cayetano de marti
I think is one of the best courses in Canarias. Is for big hitters, the greens are full of live, they look like waves in the sea. Many pros come to this golf course to practice as is the closest golf course with a PGA tour.Its a little bit far away from the south touristic part of the Island, but it is worth it a visit.
July 13, 2013