Review for El Cortijo - CLOSED

I played El Cortijo last night managing to get out for 18 holes during a family holiday to Gran Canaria. I played the course solely based on the high ranking on this website.

Let me start with the positives.

- Friendly honest staff, the young man in the pro shop offered to let me use his clubs to play my round.

- Potential for a great facility.

- Design of back 9 really solid, with a closing set up ideal for big tournament play.

- Close and easy access to Las Palmas, if you're staying there.

And now for the negatives.

- Condition of course was terrible, second to a course I played in Croatia about 10 years ago which was practically a farmers field.

- I lost a ball in a bunker due to the amount of weeds and plants growing in it. All bunkers were the same, i.e. no sand, just compact grit covered in weeds.

- A twilight round cost me €40 and the clubs were €28 but the pro shop assistant gave me a reduced rate of €20 after I protested about the ancient set of Wilsons and that the set was not worth €28... So €60 for one the worst condition courses I've ever played. It was disgraceful value for money.

- The rough at the side of he course was deep and easy to loose a ball in off the fairway. Basically the course had not been touched for months, except the greens which had recently been hollow tined - I have no idea why they did this when the rest of the course was in such a poor state.

- For the last several years, I have always used Top100golf as my bible for courses in areas I am unfamiliar with. Having been so let down by the second place position in Gran Canaria of El Cortijo I will be seeking alternate sources in future when looking for courses to play. Totally let down by this website and golf course.

Date: September 03, 2017