El Paraiso - Southern Spain - Spain

• David Ramos Butterworth

• Gary Player and Ron Kirby

• Daniel Westermark

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at El Paraiso

One of the more established courses on the Costa del Sol, El Paraiso was laid out in the early 1970s by “Black Knight” Gary Player and renowned architect Ron Kirby, back in the days when they were involved in a course design partnership.

The 18 holes are set in a valley that runs from the Mediterranean to the foothills of the Sierra Bermaja Mountains where palm trees and a variety of fauna including oleander and jacaranda line the lush fairways. Lakes and streams provide water hazards at a number of holes, adding both pleasure and potential pain to the playing experience!

The course measures just over 6,600 yards with a par of 71 and holes are routed in two circuits of nine that each return to a rustic clubhouse that was built from a number of old casitas, affording it an intimate and cosy feel.

The club at El Paraiso considers its signature hole to be the par five, doglegged 6th where a lake must be avoided on the right of the fairway and the putting surface is a tricky, two-tiered affair. Many however, rate the attractive, downhill, par four 8th hole even higher as its fairway and greenside bunkers are so pleasing on the eye.

Reviews for El Paraiso

Description: El Paraiso was laid out in the early 1970s by “Black Knight” Gary Player and renowned architect Ron Kirby, back in the days when they were involved in a course design partnership. Rating: 4.3 out of 6 Reviews: 4

I really enjoyed this course, I would reccomend this to anybody that plans to visit la Costa del Sol! beautiful layout with very good greens, great atmosphere at the club and the food at the restaurant was very good. Very good experience!!
May 07, 2014

We were a group of eight players, we have been playing in some golf courses, el paraiso has been one of the best, state of fairways in good condition, the greens fast and perfect, one of the fastest we've played .... generally all fantastic, we will come back again.
April 21, 2013

I wrote the previous review but it is now sadly out ot date. I have played El Paraiso twice this year in June and September and on both occasions it was in very poor condition. In June the greens were OK and the fairways poor however by September the greens were also poor. The whole atmosphere was one of lack of money. Very tatty and very sad as this was an enjoyable course for the average club golfer.
October 02, 2012

Mark
October 27, 2012
Sadly I have to agree with this. I loved El Paraiso back in 2001 with its fairly easy holiday golf holes which were all in good condition. I returned this August and was truly shocked. Every part of the course and practice area had fallen into a very bad state. The greens were the worst I've seen anywhere for years - large bare patches and weeds. I scored pretty well (the fairways are still wide!) but hated the whole experience which indicated a previously nice club in severe difficulties for reasons I can only speculate on.
I have never failed to enjoy a round here. It is not long (at least off the daily tees) and is ideal or holiday golf. I play off 13 and can get up in par on most holes because there is a bit of run unlike most water soaked Spanish courses. It is not one of the great courses but well worth playing and deserves its ranking.
November 19, 2010