Review for El Rompido (North)

I played the North Course on a very breezy but warm day in September, it’s part of a wider hotel and apartment complex and it appears almost everyone staying was there to play golf. I feel it’s a case of two very contrasting 9’s, the front is rather pedestrian albeit with some very long par 4’s (1st hole being SI 1!) and typical El Rompido (North) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer of any Spanish golf resort, not much to generate interest. However coming back is a much more exciting proposition with dramatic changes in elevation (13 being a highlight), some fine views to take in and considerably better architecture, 13-18 being a great run of holes . The course is set up to be generous from the tee with little rough and wide fairways, the only ball I lost was trying to drive the green on 11. Bunkering was well positioned to collect loose tee shots or badly hit approaches, the courses main test is to place your ball onto the large and undulating greens to avoid 3 putting or worse. I found them very difficult to read even though they were in recovery mode after summer maintenance and were not mowed to normal length they were fast, I dread to think how they would play once recovered! I found the overall course condition disappointing El Rompido (North) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer though, large areas of the fairways lacking any grass with scruffy and bumpy tee boxes on many holes. It was also a lottery whether the ball got any roll or bounce, seems to depend on the species of grass you land on rather than the shot you executed, fair to say no two holes were the same in that regard. By far the most disappointing element was the pace of play, expect a 5 hour+ round even though most players use a buggy, there’s no evidence of marshals or management of players and both the South and North suffer the same curse. I’ll admit that speed of play did colour my judgement and I certainly wouldn’t want to play it again unless that issue was addressed, the North is a good course despite its at times tired demeanour, worth playing for the back 9 alone.

Date: September 18, 2019

Read all reviews about El Rompido (North)