Review for Els Club - Dubai

72 hours on from my round at the Els and I'm still unsure what to make of it all. I guess my expectations were raised by reading the previous review and for me it didn't reach the level I was hoping for. There was no car to pick me up, the course staff did not know my name and there was no engraved bag tag presented on the 18th, infact there was no bag tag given at all. Whilst this is a review of the golf course I suppose it is these little extra things that make the whole experience different from the normal round at your local course.As for the course itself, in a lot of places it is very well designed and in general the condition is very good. The greens however were far too soft, my playing partner hit a utility in from about 200 yards and the ball stopped in its own divot. In general though I thought a lot of the holes were too similar, the ones that play around the water obviously stand out in the memory but I would struggle to remember more that 3 of the others.The main clubhouse is finished but not yet open and whilst the temporary one is ok, it is just ok and really nothing more than a glorified portakabin. In this part of the world and at these prices your clubhouse needs to be more than ok and very much more than a portakabin.Would I rush to play it again? Probably not if I'm honest. Rating wise it's somewhere between a 4 and a 5 ball. It's not a bad course and the staff are efficient and polite but I just think that the whole set up is not as good as it should or could be.

Date: November 16, 2010