Elton Furze - Cambridgeshire - England

PE7 3TT,

• Chris Cordery

• Roger Fitton

• Tim Ward

Draped across a 120-acre rural property to the southeast of Peterborough, the course at Elton Furze Golf Club is an early 1990s layout designed by local professional Roger Fitton. The club takes its name from the green prickly bush with yellow flowers (Ulex Europaeus) which grows in abundance around the course and is better known as gorse or furze.

Tree-lined fairways are routed around some dense woodland in the middle of the estate as two returning nines, with several water courses also coming into play during the round. During the build, greens were constructed to USGA specification so putting is always a pleasure here, with putting surfaces in tip-top shape all year round.

Feature holes include the 432-yard 7th (rated stroke index 1), which doglegs gently left past ditches and bunkers to an elevated green that’s surrounded by beautiful mature oak and ash trees. On the back nine, the 527-yard 11th is another tough nut to crack (rated stroke index 2), where the fairway narrows considerably as it heads towards a heavily sand-protected green.

Reviews for Elton Furze

Description: First opened for play in 1993, Roger Fitton routed the parkland fairways at Elton Furze Golf Club in two distinct 9-hole circuits, each returning to the clubhouse. Rating: 5 out of 10 Reviews: 1
James Smith

Finally the day has come I can now say I’ve ticked off all the courses in this county. For no reason really but it ended up being Elton as my last one to tick off. Now I think the first thing I have to say is I believe this golf course is by far the hardest one on the entire list, there are pin positions and random trees in the way that will blow your mind, the 4th hole literally has two massive trees in the way of its par-3 On the fairway and I can’t lie I did not prepare for this. I assume like some golf courses on this list the layout would be easy and I’d be looking at a straight shot as the correct idea but most of the hole where playing for a fade which isn’t a life-threatening problem but under no circumstances can I say I was expecting this. However even though it might seem like I’m moaning I quite like the challenge and once you understood the golf course wasn’t going to be easy it made for a very challenging round but a very exciting one.

The fairways are in really good condition but I must say the greens are the slowest I’ve ever played on, which yet again isn't an issue once you realise this and to be honest the only issue I have at all with the course is some holes have telephone wires which if you’ve ever read any of my other reviews is my biggest pet peeve.

Overall I would say this golf course is really nice and has an unbelievable amount of potential. I can’t personally say the ranking is justified as realistically I would have some golf courses on this list slightly higher. However for £20 I think you’ll play 18 holes and feel satisfied with how the day has treated you.

May 02, 2022