Review for Emirates (Majlis)

Played the Majlis course in January 2001, just ahead of the Desert Classic which I watched with interest as Thomas Bjorn went on to win. Naturally I went for it on the 18th and dumped my approach shot into the lake! Make no mistake, this is a good course and a most impressive club. I played Dubai Creek which is also a decent track. We stayed at the Jebel Ali Golf Resort which has a cracking little 9-hole course attached… well worth playing too.

My overriding memory of the Majlis, apart from the heat, the sand and the flatness, was the size of the greens, they are huge. I found myself miles away from the pins on numerous occasions and managed more three putts than I care to remember. The 5th is a solid par four which asks serious questions with the approach across a lake and the 7th is a super par three.

If you visit Dubai, I’d recommend both the Majlis and the Wadi (now called the Faldo course). I'm sure better golfing options will appear in the UAE over time to eclipse the Majlis, but it's well worth playing if only to follow in the footsteps of the pros.

Date: February 03, 2007

Read all reviews about Emirates (Majlis)