ERPM – East Rand Proprietary Mines – Golf Club was founded in 1903 when golfers were restricted to playing only three holes. That situation was remedied within three years, when a full 18-hole layout was established on a relatively flat piece of property.
The course served the club for over eighty years – thanks in no small part to the efforts of Peter Coetzer, who served as secretary/green keeper for more than half a century - until the fairways were upgraded by Golf Data in 1992 when the company rebuilt all the greens, redesigned the bunkers and installed an irrigation system.
The 2nd hole sets the tone for the golfing challenge at ERPM early in the round. Measuring 560 yards from the back tees, it’s a par five that sweeps gently to the right, where the fairway plays to a multi-tiered green that immediately puts putting skills under the microscope.
Around the turn, the green to the 403-yard 9th sits behind three sizeable bodies of water where many golfers come to grief through inaccurate play. This hole is followed by a right doglegged short par four that’s drivable for big hitters but tee shots that are less than perfect will be sure to find one of the nine bunkers that protect the green.