Review for Eugene

I can't say enough about this club. From the staff led by Bill Morach to the course condition and routing, to the brand new state of the art clubhouse, to it's pedigree hosting USGA events and an NCAA mens championhsip. The course itself is a beauty. Maybe its because I'm a Midwest boy, but the holes lined with the big tall douglas firs had me enamored from the get go.

H Chandler Egan is credited with the original design and while his name doesn't carry the weight of a Ross or a Raynor, he was certainly a powerful figure in turn of the century golf in the early 1900's. Robert Trent Jones did a redesign and rerouted the holes in the 1960's and his signature bunkering was definitely present throughout the round. The par 3's guarded by ponds were memorable to me specifically because I hit hole high on two of them and nearly still rolled off the green (A true members course).

While a lot of the par 4's did feel similar in nature, they were still great holes and the flow is there throughout the round. Lastly, as much as I loved the par 3's and they were great, there was also a very strong mixture of different feeling par 5's with my favorite being a dogleg right on the front nine which finishes at a green guarded by three sides of water.

In closing, while we played Eugene in February, the course was gorgeous and green as could be and the greens were still smooth and fast and in PERFECT shape. I'd hate to see how fast they roll in the summer. Never pass up an opportunity to play here as it is grossly underanked; I would say by 50 spots or so. Enjoy if you get the chance to play it.

Date: February 19, 2020