Review for European Club

I was slightly sceptical when arriving at The European as in my opinion a links course is a piece of history and attempting to create a course would take something extraordinary. The initial impression was poor. The entrance was untidy and the surrounding area look unkempt. However when we got into the clubhouse and were met by Mr. Pat Ruddy himself, our perceptions began to change. He was full of passion and enthusiasm and offered us the warmest welcome I have ever received from any golf club. The course itself is a beast. Lots of great golf holes ensuring that every single club in the bag is given an airing. The 7th is rightly the show piece and what a golf hole. A tight drive that needs to be long to give you any chance of reaching the green in two, is but the beginning of your concerns. The second shot is into a green adorned by danger. Rough grass, dunes and water all protect this stunning golf hole. The course for me still needs time to develop, but Mr. Ruddy may I say you have made a great layout and I hope that nature allows this course to develop into a true great. In my eyes a modern day classic.

Date: May 19, 2004