Review for Fairmont St Andrews (Kittocks)

Some people claim, that when visiting Fife to shoot some golf, one should visit the classic links venues only.

If I would have followed their reasoning, I would have missed my Kittocks experience on the Fairmont golf resort. We decided to play some non-links tracks as well during our last trip in May this year. We were lucky: we played Kittocks under blue skies with a gentle breeze, after a long period of drought. I can imaging that if the wind is blowing at Fairmont, it will offer additional challenges by its own.

Kittocks is decent golf venue, American-style design, located along the Scottish coastline. Although the overall design is slightly better at Kittocks, the beautiful & dramatic seaside views reminded me of Pinnacle Point, with Pinnacle Point winning clearly on the wow-factor.

Kittocks is adjacent to the coast, it has fabulous views over St Andrews, it has a linksy feeling turf now & then, but Kittocks is not a links course by nature. At a traditional links course, I have the feeling that all the humps and bumps are there by nature, at Kittocks some of the contours had a less natural feel. It is more suited for the aerial gunners then those who use the lower trajectory to attack the large putting surfaces.

But it does offer a very professional welcome at the clubhouse & immaculate service by all staff, presents a well-designed & well-maintained championship golf course, offering a very all-encompassing test for your golf game. We had a very satisfactory golf experience at Kittocks: we had the track almost to ourselves and we paid next to nothing (GBP35 pp.) for a 18 holes round of very decent golf.

Sometimes you have to enjoy a proper seaside venue to appreciate the attractive force of a true links course...

OCB

Date: July 26, 2017

Read all reviews about Fairmont St Andrews (Kittocks)