Review for Fancourt (Montagu)

On a 10 days trip to South Africa, I was lucky enough to stay 3 nights at Fancourt and play not only The Links but also this fantastic venue, totally different from it's more famous neighbour but I will say that at the same quality of satisfaction. As there are players liking more the links type courses and some others preferring the Parklands (or tree lines fairways ones), there will be golfers liking this one even better than The Links and they are not wrong at all!! (although I like more The Links, it is fair to say). The golf day was totally diferent here, a cloudy and in sometimes rainy day didn't allow us to see all the course beauty but all the same we found it amazing. After breakfast at the resort and a quick site inspectionFancourt (Montagu) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer of the Outeniqua Course, we were taken to the first tee to experience the Montagu. The first thing I have to say is that we were all four single digit golfers and all played decently well so the match we had was a lot of fun, which always help to enjoy better the course. After that, the course is very playable, decently wide for driving and with generous grees so everybody will have fun. But once you select the correct set of tees to suit your game, you will have a nice challenge to score your handicap. I played reasonable well but could not as doubled 15th and tripled 17th with a swimming ball and an OB out there. The course design is fantastic, wooded holes, water holes and in some places huge oak trees that in May (mid fall) might turn into fantastic colours with the mountains backing the picture. Again, a course with no bad holes (maybe 8th and 16th are just not great) and plenty of them unbelievable like 2-4-6-7-10-13-14-17 and a great finishing hole like 18 where if you want to get in 2 shots, you must be strong and accurate but it is possible. The 2nd shot at par 5 4th is as nice as it can get and second at 18th is as challenging as you can expect. Greens rolled great, true and pretty fast although not as fast as The Links. Maintenance was outstanding, perfect in every details. Half way house gave us a great lunch, which in a cold day helped to give us some extra calories for the back 9. The only regret is I would have loved to walk it in a sunny day, it must be great. I am graceful of being able to play it and to show others that there is a lot of great golf to be discovered, being South Africa a place you need to go. My highest rewards to this truly exceptional course.

Date: July 05, 2013

Read all reviews about Fancourt (Montagu)