Review for Farnham

Decided to squeeze a round in at Farnham on a sunny Sunday afternoon on the hunt to find a club to become a member. The course opens up with a couple of pleasant opening holes, but as mentioned by the previous review, it really does improve once you hit the 5/6th. The 6th - 9th is where that typical surrey heather comes into play and is definitely the courses focal point.

Although not the most challenging, I really enjoyed the 8th, a short par four that is setup more for a steady tee shot, not a slog for distance, prioritising placement as to not land it in heather either side.

Granted the holes afterwards are weaker, however I wouldn't say they weren't enjoyable. The SI par 5 11th was a good challenge, and the finishing hole was pleasant way to finish the round. I would say a couple of holes were weak, namely the par 3 3rd and 17th but nothing that would drag the quality of the course down.

During my round I suddenly developed the slices with my woods which resulted in many lost balls. Normally I would be pretty peeved but the experience of playing the course and its lovely surroundings really put me at ease.

I paid £95 to play on a Sunday afternoon in July. Is that a price worth paying? The fact I was questioned by the shop assistant asking if I knew the price in a slightly concerned manner probably answers that question. It didn't help knowing the guy before who had a member signing him in paid £35 but hey ho, "It definitely helps to know a member" I was told! Not ideal for an outsider like myself.

Overall an enjoyable golf course and worth playing if you get the chance.

Date: July 08, 2019