Faversham Golf Club was formed in 1902, with members playing on a course situated in Nagden Marsh. Poor underfoot playing conditions soon became a concern, forcing the club to relocate to its present site at Belmont Park in 1909, where a 9-hole layout was brought into play. The course was officially opened by Lord Harris in June of 1911.
Plans to extend the course emerged in 1922 and the work was completed in two phases. The first tranche of work consisted of building five new holes to the north on land previously farmed by William Clark, a tenant of Lord Harris. Professional Jock Telfer, recently recruited from Enfield, oversaw the project. The second phase involved constructing another five holes and losing the original 4th hole, with the new 18-hole layout formally unveiled on 18th May 1924.
Two honorary Life Members have brought golfing glory to the club: Mickey Walker won The Women’s Amateur in 1971 and 1972 before turning professional the following year to compete on the LPGA Tour and Ladies European Tour. Roger Chapman then claimed the English Amateur Championship in 1981 before joining golfing’s paid ranks later that year.
Today, the course measures exactly 6,000 yards from the back tees, playing to a par of 70, with only two par fives – at the 472-yard 1st and 539-yard 7th – on the card. Highlight holes include the heavily-bunkered par four 4th (where out of bounds runs the length of the hole on the left) and the downhill par three 16th, which has a huge bunker protecting the front of the green.