Review for Firestone (South)

I just finished playing Firestone South. I've reviewed the course before but that was as a walking scorer for the tournament. Today, I finally played the course. I have to say the my previous review isn't quite up to snuff.

I admit, Firestone is repetitive. It lacks the diversity of holes and shot requirements that so many great courses have; however, what Firestone does have it does very, very well.

Firestone rewards the ball striker, and on this day that is something I was not! The fairways are tight. The holes are long. And, if you are out of position, this course makes for a slog fest.

Several holes do stand out. As mentioned by other reviewers, holes 3, 12, 16, and 18 are all very strong. I would add hole 2 to the list, too. In fact, I think that holes 2 and 3 are perfect compliments. 2 is a long (not as long as 16) par 5, but unlike hole 16 number 2 plays uphill. It's longer than it's yardage, and it is well protected with impressive bunkering. A cracker of a hole. I actually prefer it to 16 (which is a fantastic hole, too). What makes the 2/3 combo so fun is that for as long as 2 is hole 3 is short and plays downhill. However, there is a pond protecting the green and it demands the heroic shot.

The debate for supremacy in NE Ohio will continue. Is it Firestone South? Is it Canterbury? I think that Canterbury wins this conversation (not by much) because of more variety in her green complexes and par 3s. Both courses offer exceptional par 5s (numbers 13 and 16 at Canterbury and 2 and 16 at Firestone). The par 4s are very comparable, too.

A day at Firestone is a day well spent and I will be happy to return!

Date: November 08, 2020

Read all reviews about Firestone (South)