Review for FLC Quy Nhon (Ocean)

This is the first of two courses at a new resort situated on a peninsula about 20km out of Quy Nhon this is a very windy location blowing in excess of 35km/h each of the four days I was there, speaking to the staff they told me it was like that more often than not and while I enjoy playing in windy conditions these were quite extreme.

The front nine of the Ocean course is situated at the bottom of the mountain below the Mountain course and is more sheltered from the wind than the back nine that runs down toward the beach between villas.

The problem I had with this course is that it doesn’t really take into account the prevailing wind particularly the back nine which starts with 4 holes in a row directly into the wind including a par 5 followed by the longest par 4 on the course then when you finally turn around and have the wind at your back you are greeted with par 3 this stretch of holes is screaming out for a short par 4 but there is none to be found. There is also a very strange 100 yard drop shot par 3 with the wind at your back on the front nine this hole looks jammed in and entirely out of place the Ocean course also lacks the width that the Mountain course provides. It seems to me they were eager to build holes closer to the beach and while this photographs well it certainly doesn’t help the playability. I realize many people would be thinking windy conditions by the water is exactly what they are looking for but Driver, 3 wood, 3 wood on consecutive holes gets old pretty quick and to put things in perspective I hit my PW 180 yards on the par 3 with the wind at my back.

On the plus side this course has large greens with considerable movement many of them have large undulations which breaks the greens into sections the course was in excellent condition and there are several interesting holes including the par 5 17th with a sunken Biarritz green there is a manually operated traffic light that gives you the go ahead to approach the 17th. There are also splendid views from many parts of the course.

Overall I wouldn’t put this course in the to 5 in Vietnam and if I had 10 rounds at this resort it would be a 7/3 split in favor of the Mountain course.

The resort itself is still expanding the hotel is very nice and quite cheap but there were very few people staying there and the only people playing golf aside from myself was a Korean youth team on a training camp I found the lack of players strange as the other courses around Vietnam were packed with various nationalities escaping the winter. Quy Nhon is difficult to get to unless you are travelling from Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi the 300km from Danang turned into a 7 hour drive however they are building a new airport which will have flights from more places.

Date: February 27, 2018

Read all reviews about FLC Quy Nhon (Ocean)