Review for Forres

I am constantly amazed as I hack my way around Scotland how many of our small towns are in possession of good golf courses. Quite a few of these, incidentally, are nine-holers. But that's for another day. Anyway, Forres is a shining example of that observation. From the dramatic high tee at the opening hole - replicated at the 4th - the course makes its way through the trees with many changes of elevation to pique your interest. On the front nine I really like the short 5th, with a tall tree guarding the left side of the green, the 8th - where thick trees hem you in from both sides - and the view of the sea from the 9th green.The meat and potatoes of the layout come from holes 11-14, a set of tough long par fours. At 15 the green is invitingly tucked at the bottom of a steep slope and this is a prelude to the most striking hole on the course which features a pond on the right and a split-level fairway. It is hard to imagine anyone not enjoying a day at this James Braid gem. The only wonder is that it is not deemed worthy of a place in the top 20 for the region.

Date: May 30, 2020