Forster Tuncurry Golf Club began in 1950 with a 9-hole course which was laid out by A. W. East from Sydney. Two more holes were added shortly after then more land was acquired to allow an expansion of the layout to eighteen holes in 1970.
The course became so popular that it was decided to form another club named The Great Lakes on a coastal stretch nearby. When it opened for play in 1984, the other course was actually just an offshoot of Forster Tuncurry Golf Club, called Tuncurry (with the original course called Forster).
The original Forster course occupies a very tight, 70-acre property next to One Mile Beach, with an overall length less than 4,900 metres. Played to a par of 66, there’s only one par five on the card (at the 13th) and seven par threes that vary in length from 143 metres on the 14th to 197 metres on the 1st.