Review for Frilford Heath (Red)

I really can’t decide whether I think the red course is good track or merely above average. I played it in late July 2019 on warm blustery afternoon, perfect conditions for a heathland course which needs the wind to offer a defence. Frilford Heath (Red) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer Perhaps my views were influenced partly by the poor condition of numerous fairways and tees, lots of bare grassless patches and rabbit damage everywhere, I really expect better at £95 a round! The course is routed through a flat heathland site, similar to Walton Heath but without the elevation change unfortunately. There are however plenty of good elements to enjoy, excellent greens, clever bunkering and a strong mix of short and long par 4’s, the 7th, 8th and 13th being the stand outs for me and the front 9 finishing with a great par 3 that demands an iron shot of high quality to Frilford Heath (Red) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer find the putting surface. The back 9 isn’t so good with it feeling like something of a grind after the last par 3, the round finishes with a rather odd short par 4, a large bunker sits in the middle of the fairway forcing to you to hit an iron but none defending the green. I did like the fact they only allow 2 balls on the red so pace of play was great, barely saw anyone else on the course! The clubhouse is in the traditional style (with decent food), its terrace is a nice place to sit and contemplate the round you’ve played. Overall it’s a 3.5 ball course for me.

Date: July 24, 2019

Read all reviews about Frilford Heath (Red)