Fulford - Yorkshire - England

Heslington Lane,
York,
YO10 5DY,

• +44 (0)1904 413579

Fulford Golf Club is located just one mile from the centre of the historic city of York. It's a high-class heathland/parkland course, home to the Benson and Hedges International Open during the 1970s and 1980s. This televised tournament immediately made Fulford a household name and gave it nationwide recognition as one of the country's best inland courses.

The club was founded in 1906 but it moved to its current site in 1935 after James Braid identified the land a few years earlier. Major Charles MacKenzie, the brother of the legendary Alister MacKenzie of Augusta National fame, designed the course on predominantly sandy ground. A major renovation has recently been completed by Mackenzie & Ebert.

The fairways wind their way between avenues of trees. But there's one particular tree at Fulford that will remain a monument to Bernhard Langer for as long as it lives.

In the 1981 B&H International, Langer hit his approach shot to the 17th into the branches of a large ash tree. Amazingly, the ball remained lodged. Rather than taking a penalty drop, Langer decided to shin up the tree and play the shot from where it lay. From a precarious and unusual stance, Langer chipped out and to everyone's astonishment, the ball landed on the green. A plaque on the same tree now commemorates Langer's remarkable feat.

Measuring 6,779 yards from the back tees, Fulford is a serious test for the handicap golfer, but the course is too short for today's long hitting professionals. Just ask Ian Woosnam. "Woosie" posted the All-Comers' course record in 1985 with an amazing 62.

It is most unlikely that we'll have the chance to score 62, but we'll certainly enjoy Fulford. It's a fine golf course in a beautiful part of the country and, thanks to Langer, it will always be remembered.

Reviews for Fulford

Description: Fulford Golf Club will always be remembered for the tree-climbing exploits of Bernhard Langer in the 1981 Benson & Hedges International. Rating: 7.3 out of 10 Reviews: 28
Eddie Maylor
Fulford is most famous for Bernhard Langer climbing the tree on the 17th, which is such a shame for a super course. The course was in excellent condition, including fast, true greens. There are lots of holes where straight tee shots are required, but the challenge is choosing the correct club to get close to the flag.
May 27, 2013

Marty Brown
Having played Fulford regularly over the last 10 years it was once again enjoyable to make the journey over the Pennines in early September. The course was in decent condition despite the heavy rain over the summer. With the weather and like many courses this year it is a little too green with too much grass. I enjoyed playing Fulford the most when it was brown and fast bringing out its true heathland characteristics. Sadly many holes are more parkland nowadays but still pleasant to play. It always amazed me the size of greens, many 45 yards long. Thankfully I was armed with my Skycaddie. It can be so deceptive on the eye so knowing where the flag is situated is so important often resulting in 3 clubs different from front to back. It is a tough start with three Par 4’s well over 400 yards in the first five holes coupled with a 190+ par 3 at the 3rd. After the 5th you cross the A64 main road and it is these holes, 6 to 13 which are my favourite and show more heathland features. Try to leave your tee shot on the 10th below the pin. It is said members never give a putt on this green. The 13th is one of the toughest par 4’s I know, at 486 yards it’s easy to understand why. Quite simply you need to hit your best golf shots of the day. Back over the A64 and head for home. 14 is a neat par 3, once again club selection is critical. 15 another long par 4 which requires very good shots, again taking note of where the pin is remembering it could be 3 clubs different on what is already a 440 yard hole. The 17th the famous Langer tree hole, I bet he couldn’t climb it today! I’ve noticed in 10 years how the trees have grown putting a greater importance on your tee shot which must be down the left side. Anything right and you simply won’t get over the trees in the direction of the green. 18 is a shortest par 5 which can reward 2 good shots. To play Fulford you need to drive the ball well, not only long but straight. With the strategic relocation of many bunkers a very good hitter of the ball will need to way up the risk and reward factor. I feel the Top 100 website view that Fulford is the 5th best course in Yorkshire is a fair one. Yorkshire is blessed with some terrific tracks. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and will return soon. We all have opinions and mine is an admirer of heathland terrain I wish many more trees would be felled to recreate that feel. Marty B
September 03, 2012

DAVID WALKER

An excellent golf course in a beautiful setting with a plethora of interesting holes. Flat terrain means it is not an arduous walk for older people. Holes are tight and it is essential to make an accurate tee shot on most holes, particularly the par threes. Approach shots are tough, but the greens are straightforward as they are mainly flat. They are, however, the best greens I have played on (by a distance) this year. A friendly club and well organised. One of the best clubs in the north of England.

August 07, 2012

steve
lovely course in excellant condition with great staff. a testing course with lots of varied holes and superb greens. in my opinion a bit of woodhall a bit of hollinwell and a bit of ganton, while not quite up there with woodhall all in all a better experiance and test than ganton.fulford should be on your places to play list.
August 06, 2012

Goffy
Played at Fulford on a bright but blustery March morning and the course was in good condition seeing as the snow had only cleared a week earlier. I’ve got to say that on looking at the card before playing it didn’t look too testing but I was mistaken. It all starts fairly straight forward, hit straight’ish drives avoiding the bunkers and your’ll be left with shots into large receptive greens that are fairly flat. But its around the 12th where things start getting tricky as you turn and head for home. These holes are Yorkshires equivalent to the ‘Burma Road’ at Wentworth. Most holes seemed to have OOB on the left and trouble on the right and it was a tough test with the wind howling of the left. I look forward to going back in the summer to see it at its best.
April 26, 2012

Tony White
I was working in York last summer and and played this course twice a week for 3 months and didn't want to leave, this course is a grower. So much variety, it's just so natural, every hole was perfect. No wonder the Pro's loved coming here, they all spoke so highly of it. One evening I had a feeling I was being watched, very eerie, then I found out many soldiers died here in the Battle of Fulford.
March 04, 2012

matthew scooby

Read the reviews below, and visited Fulford in late September. It lived up to all expectations. My 4 ball were all very impressed, (all cat1 golfers). We were given permission to play from the championship markers and this provided a great test for us. Very good traditional golf course, far better than I remember from last time I visited about 10 years ago, great food, and most importantly the staff we met were so friendly. I wish I lived nearer I would love to be a member, and I agree with previous comments below.

October 07, 2011

Mr John C Biglands

Was it Mark Twain, who said that a round of golf was a good walk spoiled? Well in that case he did not know about Fulford GC.The greens are always quick and true, the fairways generous, and the bunkers in the best condition.Fulford is a great test of golf for golfers, of all handicaps and ages.I have played a number of courses in 2010, some in Scotland,Northumberland, Yorkshire, and Co Durham. Fulford came out on top.I am now looking forward to my annual visit in July; I know that I will not be disappointed.

May 31, 2011

Dr Shahab Hussain
Played Fulford this morning with three friends. For the last weekend in November, and considering the recent wet weather the course is in excellent nick. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by the pro staff. One hole was closed and they reduced the greenfee to £20 per head which was a nice touch. The sun was shining and the fairways were glistening with dew on one of those magical winter mornings. From the moment we stepped onto the first tee it was obviouse this is a quality golf course. Fairways were dry, and the greens are the best i've ever played by a mile and this includes Moortown/Moor Allerton and Silloth. It waqs literally like putting on a carpet. If you like traditional Heathland courses this is a must play. Errant drives are punished by being blocked out, and several greens are surrounded by an amphitheatre of tree's. The golf played was good too with a good three wood off the tee a big advantage on the tighter holes. One of our party is an aspiring pro and birdied every par 5!!!!! In summary a first class venue which I would love to return to one day. Probably my second favourite course in the North of England behind Silloth. Shab Moor Allerton Golf Club. HC- 12.
November 27, 2009

Andy-Webbo
We held our annual works 36 hole Championship at Fulford on Monday 14th June 2009. From the moment that we arrived the course had the “right” atmosphere a golf club should have. We were even welcomed in the clubhouse at 830am by the President, a very nice gesture. The course was planned and constructed by Major Charles McKenzie, the brother and partner of the now legendary Dr Alistair McKenzie who designed Augusta National & Cypress Point. The clubhouse was in excellent condition and had photos and memorabilia from the old PGA events displayed all around the walls. The events were the Benson and Hedges, Martini International, Murphys Cup, remember the modified stableford system, and a world matchplay event. It is hard to believe that four major champions have won here including Ian Woosnam, Sandy Lyle and Lee Trevino. There is a great photograph in the locker room to commemorate the flaxen-haired Bernard Langer clambering 20 feet up the magnificent ash tree by the 17th green to play his third shot in the 1981 Benson and Hedges International Open. The sun was hot all day only ruined by a heavy thunderstorm that lasted for about an hour. The course was in excellent condition save for a couple of uncut tees. The greens were the best I had played on this year, quick but very true. Even the rain didn’t seem to slow them. All the bunkers were raked and the sand of a high quality and the “right” amount in each bunker. The only slightly disappointing thing was some of the pin positions. Most were either barely on the front or just on the back of every green for some reason. Only four were in the centre. The most ridiculous was the par 3, 14th placed just three strides on the front just over the ditch. Still it was the same for everyone. What I like about the course is the 13th the best hole on the course for me, and the closing holes 15 to 18. The 13th is a great long par four with well placed bunkers and a good drive leaves a long shot into a very large green. 15 to 18 are short par 4’s that modern equipment has not ruined and a driver is not needed or there is little reward for the risk. You have to control the ball and place it in the fairway to avoid the bunkering. This is paramount on Langer’s hole the 17th. It is guarded by a burn and the famous tree. Hit it too far and you will be blocked out by other trees, a cleverly designed hole. I managed a birdie on the first round and looked up with pride at the plaque on Langers Tree. The last hole is a dog leg right par 5 reachable in two on a similar angle to 18 at the West course at Wentworth. As a junior golfer many years ago I remember making an eagle on it as they built the stands for the Benson and Hedges as the competition was always played the week before the event. This course is a must play for any golfer wanting to experience golf history at a fine course. Fulford is one of my favourite courses and definitely in the top 5 in Yorkshire. It is still great value for money. I would have given it 6 but for the pin positions and a few unkempt tees. It has a great web site too. Andy W
June 19, 2009