Galway Golf Club has been in existence since 1895 when military men from the Connaught Rangers played on the first course at Renmore Barracks. The club moved soon after that to Gentian Hill before relocating again to Barna ten years later. The golf club’s third and final move took place twenty years later when they decamped to the Blackrock site.
The design of the current Galway course is down to the efforts of the celebrated Scottish designer Alister MacKenzie who laid out the 18 holes in 1926. In recent times, a number of his greens have been extensively re-designed to keep pace with the modern game but the course still retains all of its original charm. It is a well-established parkland track, with tree and gorse lined holes laid out in two loops of nine which offer marvelous views of the Burren, Galway Bay and the Aran Islands.
The names Galway and O’Connor are inextricably linked in Irish golfing circles, as the course is where uncle Christy Snr and nephew Christy Jnr honed their skills. Both Ryder Cup men are Irish golfing legends and much revered in these parts.
The course has held many prestigious competitions over the years and such is its regard with the Golfing Union of Ireland, it was chosen as the venue in 2002 for the All Ireland Cups and Shields Finals.