Review for Ganton

I've put this review off for quite a while but thought I'd finally give in and write it. I played Ganton back in January, it is not August so fair to say i've tried to avoid it for a while! I'll get straight to the point, it didn't live up to expectations for me. The club itself is stooped with history, formed in 1896 it has a ryder cup under it's belt as well as holding many prestigious amateur events.

The course itself is as tough as a course could get. Play it with wind and rain which is how most people probably do and it is a proper test of golf. The bunkering at Ganton is fantastic, plenty around the greens and fairways, some are super deep. The problem I have with the golf course is that it's all quite the same and with the exception of 17 it has no holes which really makes me think that this is as good as it gets. For a top 100 golf course in the world, I feel like there should be plenty of moments standing on the tee thinking that it couldn't get any better but it didn't feel that way for me at Ganton. The front 9 is better than the back in my opinion with some lovely holes on the front. The par 3 5th is a lovely par 3 over a number of gorse bushes into a narrow green, followed by a great par 5 with trees all the way down the right. Holes 1-11 are all fun and enjoyable but the stretch of 12,13,14 and 15 let the course down a bit. Fairly uninspiring golf holes in all honesty.

I can see where people are coming from for them to rate Ganton so highly but unfortunately it didn't meet my standards that I was expecting, may go back there for another try in the summer but I can't say i'm a massive fan. I feel generous giving 4 and a half balls but I'd say that is a fair rating of the course as it was still very good, just not top 100 in the world worthy in my opinion.

Date: August 05, 2020