Review for Ganton

I played Ganton on a breezy summers day this july off the yellow tees, so the review is slightly flawed, although I think only five holes would be slightly tougher off the championship tees. Firstly let me say the course and surrounding areas were in fantastic condition, the fairways were like posh carpets and greens although a little slow were excellent. It is a fine golf course but in my view too high in the rankings. It is not as tough or as interesting as Woodhall Spa, Notts or Sherwood Forest which are of a similar ilk. Yes the fairway bunkers and gorse are penal, but not with todays equipment, they only punish really really bad shots and please higher in the rankings than wentworth west, not a chance. one is a classy brute and the other is a classy stroll. For me the stand out holes were the 4th, 9th, 15th, 16th and 18th the rest were very much the same or weak holes. The par 3s were nice but I don’t get the 17th at all, and the par 5s too short especially the 6th which as a par four would be one of the best on the course. Worth a visit, because it is a fine old traditional golf course with a pedigree, with a lovely setting but I think technology has caught up with it, and it has lost its teeth. Not the test it obviously once was, I found all the above courses more challenging, but this is a nice day out, with an abundance of history and enjoyment. I am sure the course could be laid out to be a much more tougher challenge, but that can be said about every course. I just didn’t stand on the tee and think that looks tough on any of the holes and I think a true championship course you should at least five times. But well worth a visit.

Date: July 24, 2011