Geysir - Iceland

Iceland

• unknown

• Edwin Roald

• unknown

Opened in 2006, the 9-hole Geysir Golf Course lies close to the hot spring area in Haukadalur. Don’t be surprised if either the Geysir or Strokkur geysers erupt whilst playing a game here among the mud pots and fumaroles. The natural geothermal springs shoot boiling water high into the air at frequent intervals, attracting nearly half a million visitors every year – that’s more than the entire population of the island!

The Geysir Golf Course is recognised for the quality of its pure fescue greens on an L-shaped layout designed by Edwin Roald. Two rivers dominate the property and water comes into play to some extent on every hole. Fairways are bounded by native rough and shrubs, with heather creeping round the rough edges of the bunkers.

Notable holes on this par-37 layout include the par five 2nd (“Blesi”) requiring an approach over water to the green; the second of the par threes at the 145-metre 7th (“Litli- Stroker”) where water runs along the right side of the hole; and the par five finisher (”Konungshver”) which returns players to the delightful little clubhouse.

Reviews for Geysir

Description: Opened in 2006, the 9-hole Geysir Golf Course lies close to the hot spring area in Haukadalur. Don’t be surprised if either the Geysir or Strokkur geysers erupt whilst playing a game here among the mud pots and fumaroles. Rating: 5 out of 10 Reviews: 1
Michael Nichols

I had a lovely, unexpected day playing 9 holes at Geysir in Sept. 2015. I was traveling in Iceland without clubs or the expectation of playing some golf, but happened upon Geysir when driving out-of-town from Reykjavik. I noticed the golf course on my way out, so I planned to stop in on my way back. With only 1-2 cars in the lot, I wasn't sure it was open, but I quickly met the owner of the course, a woman who could not have been nicer. When I noted I was only checking things out and not dressed for golf (sweatshirt and jeans!) she insisted in was nonsense and set me up with rental clubs, balls, tees, and an Icelandic beer for a very modest price. I enjoyed a spin around the course, where every few minutes an active Geysir erupts a stone's throw from the course, adding some regular amusement. The course layout was lovely and the conditions were about the most that could be expected in Iceland. There were a couple of holes with more intrigue than others and two rivers running through the course come into play on almost every hole of the 9-hole layout. I wouldn't go out of my way to play Geysir again, but if you're in the area and looking for a quick 9 in Iceland with some one-of-kind views, give Geysir a shot... or 37.

March 31, 2022